Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

I try not to make this a regular thing, at least not at work, but...
image.jpg

Ah, yes. Brewed with pure artesian spring water! Does it still say that on the can these days??

On another note, would another hood be easier, Dave..or is fixing it no big deal? Looks like it was run over by a Lone Star truck...

Reactions: 1 user
Ah, yes. Brewed with pure artesian spring water! Does it still say that on the can these days??

On another note, would another hood be easier, Dave..or is fixing it no big deal? Looks like it was run over by a Lone Star truck...
I think so, i don't usually read the cans of beer that are given to me free. Not looking a gift horse in the mouth thing....

Another hood would be easier, and fixing it is a very big PITA.

I'm stuck with this one though, new replacement hoods cost mid $500. Getting another hood from the SY would take me a week, the owner is on vacation right now. Then i would still need to go through a blaster to get it cleaned up (NOT the same blaster, obviously). So i would lose even more time and have to pay for another hood, though i could probably get it pretty cheap. By the time i would have all that done, i can have this one fixed.

So PITA or not, i'm kind of stuck. Oh well, it really gives me a chance to work on my metal skills, so that's not bad.:shrug: I'll figure out how to do it the best way, this way i have a personal interest in doing a really good job.

With all that said.......sht:bang:

Reactions: 8 users
Oh yeah.....the hood......

I got the right side fairly straight. I got the metal tightened up and slung mud over it. It won't be very thick, but it will be everywhere on this hood. Oh well.

Tomorrow i'll block the layer i spread on there today.

After i get it blocked, i'll move onto the middle of the hood.

I'm just having soooooo much fun doing this, i couldn't imagine not having to beat every square inch of the hood now. It's just the best thing ever.:nonono: Aren't hoods just delightful@madmike1157 ? Would you mind loaning out the towel boy for awhile?
IMG_2092.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Dave, do you love what you do? It sure looks like you love it, and you should. Your the Leonardo Da Vinci of cars! BEAUTIFUL
Scott
Thanks for the kind words. I do love what i do.

The paint job is nice so far, and i really like the color. The pearl really sparkles in the sun.

I'm no paint magician, i've just been doing it for awhile. Monkey with a gun and wrinkles.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Take my money......:hail2:
Yeah, what he said! @Davedacarpainter , I officially want YOU to make my car pretty!! I know there are a lot of shops here in New Orleans that could probably do a good, even a great job, but seeing you paint the exact color I want on a fox body mustang has me wanting YOU to do mine.....when I'm financially ready for that chapter of my build.:D

My rear bumper has that usual droop that most fox bumpers get over time especially in hot climates. Should I just get a new bumper or is it worth it to fix?

Yeah, what he said! @Davedacarpainter , I officially want YOU to make my car pretty!! I know there are a lot of shops here in New Orleans that could probably do a good, even a great job, but seeing you paint the exact color I want on a fox body mustang has me wanting YOU to do mine.....when I'm financially ready for that chapter of my build.:D

My rear bumper has that usual droop that most fox bumpers get over time especially in hot climates. Should I just get a new bumper or is it worth it to fix?
Post a picture

Oh yeah.....the hood......

I got the right side fairly straight. I got the metal tightened up and slung mud over it. It won't be very thick, but it will be everywhere on this hood. Oh well.

Tomorrow i'll block the layer i spread on there today.

After i get it blocked, i'll move onto the middle of the hood.

I'm just having soooooo much fun doing this, i couldn't imagine not having to beat every square inch of the hood now. It's just the best thing ever.:nonono: Aren't hoods just delightful@madmike1157 ? Would you mind loaning out the towel boy for awhile?
IMG_2092.JPG

You need me to come there and fck it up worse for you?

I'm an expert at that.

All it takes is a plane ticket dave.

Reactions: 2 users
You MIGHT be able to see how much it droops on this pic.
20130926_130547_zps2c043436.jpg

How bout this one?
20140403_135248_zpsm8360uc4.jpg
Do you know if the metal bracket that holds it to the rear body panel is straight? You might get lucky and be able to fix it that way.

Sometimes it's just the bumper cover slipping on the bracket that can give you that look. There's a little play in the holes that the bracket bolts go through. Try loosening up the nuts along the RBP a little first and pushing the edge of the bumper down and re-tightening the nuts. You could get lucky that way as well.

If it's not that, it's a little PITA to fix and will involve painting it. I would bet the bumper is just stretched out. If you want to fix it, pm me and I'll call and talk you through it.

Though a new one is less than $300. That would be the easy way out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Did the initial sanding of the bondo, it feels pretty good.

I'll have to wipe it again to get the couple small low areas and fill in all of my pinholes. I whip my mud maybe a little to aggressively,:shrug: gets air bubbles in it.
IMG_2093.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.