Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

What's new in Dave's world? I took out the little dings all over the new door. What I'm doing is trying to make it so all I have to do to the door is to primer it and seam seal it before I block it out to paint it.

Except for the lower portion of the door. Ford did this to all fox bodies to pis s me off! I will put a glaze coat of bondo there to smooth it out. Using the tools I did to take out the door dings, I could totally smooth the door without bondo. Yet I would have to come up with enough sht to give to do this. It takes a LOT of time on every panel to come up with a total finish without bondo, huh @TOOLOW91 ?

Your buddies car is amazing to me, I would have to lose the wife, children and grandchildren to duplicate that feat!

Anywho.... Here's some pictures of the equipment I used to take out the dents. This little machine is wonderful, it's anode tack welds to the bare metal of the dent and has a small slide hammer weight to pop out the dent. There is also the lever that you can use to be more gentle pulling out dents. I didn't use it too much, I just want them out enough to primer over and block them out. It has a magnetic ground, btw. You just need bare metal to have it stick to.

So, pictures: I circled all the dents with a marker
image.jpeg

started to sand the dents to the metal so the electrode would attach
image.jpeg

You can see I didn't try to pull every dent. Several of them are small enough that primer will cover them up.
image.jpeg

then I sprayed the areas with rattle can etch so I could see if the dents pulled out properly while the primer was still wet and shiny, I got a few more after this photo. Tomorrow, at lunch, I'll drop the door off to be media blasted.

I'll be getting the hood and deck lid off of Robby this week so I can do the same thing to them, and then drop them off to be media blasted too. I'll pluck the carburetor off of him too and tear it down and let it soak for a couple days.

Forgive me dave but which buddy of mines car are we referring too ?

Last edited:
I thought it was your friend, I'll have to do some research. It was on my red car's thread when someone showed me their friends fox that they had smoothed without bondo.

Forgive me Jeff, getting brief senior moments here.

Who was it that had the friend that was going to put the 2jz jap engine in his car?

Oh well, reading without comprehension is a sad thing.
That is my buddies car yes ! But bondo ? There was almost none . That bay was 99.9 percent metal as was the rest of the body ! Where the patch was done in the corner of the roof was literally filled with lead . Once that was almost perfect it got the very lightest skim coat with rage . Then it was sanded to death with a long block until there was literally nothing left . Same with the engine bay . The fire wall where the wiper motor goes I think had 14 hours alone in it getting it straight .

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
That is my buddies car yes ! But bondo ? There was almost none . That bay was 99.9 percent metal as was the rest of the body !

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate
That's was what I intended to point out. Beautiful work, lots of time involved in that project.

I meant my note about that car to mean, "Oh my God" that takes a lot of work and patience.

That's was what I intended to point out. Beautiful work, lots of time involved in that project.

I meant my note about that car to mean, "Oh my God" that takes a lot of work and patience.
Ahhhhh I see now !

Reactions: 1 user
I had a couple that you pushed the ts lever in to blow the horn lol. When I first got the Capri I found by accident with my knee
I've been taking a "way back memory trip" thinking about the whole horn thing.

Not that you weren't in the first place Chris, but you're right about that horn thing. I just haven't given thought of that in a long time.

I would ask where my brain cells have gone to, but I think we could both have a pretty solid guess on that one!:cheers::sleep:

I've been taking a "way back memory trip" thinking about the whole horn thing.

Not that you weren't in the first place Chris, but you're right about that horn thing. I just haven't given thought of that in a long time.

I would ask where my brain cells have gone to, but I think we could both have a pretty solid guess on that one!:cheers::sleep:
Speaking of - My brain isn't even awake . My usual shift 3p-11p . Doing a double today for some arc training course . S n o r e. Atleast it's time and a half pay .

Reactions: 2 users
Speaking of - My brain isn't even awake . My usual shift 3p-11p . Doing a double today for some arc training course . S n o r e. Atleast it's time and a half pay .

I thought this was an early response for you.

Last edited:
Soooo, my wife and I are at a Cold Play concert tonight.

Can't say I know a single song of theirs, oh well, wife seems happy.

Guess what I'm doing though?
image.jpg

That's right, I'm in the line to buy drinks!:cheers:

I'm starting to think I enjoy alcohol, correct me if I'm wrong here.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.