Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Pretty boring Chris, yourself?

Tomorrow or teusday i'll get those wheels and tires i showed you the CL earlier. Depends if i finally get my hood back from the sand blaster tomorrow or not.

I have to drive to Bartlesville to get the wheels (about 50 miles away).
Pretty uneventful here too lol.
Looking forward to seeing the hood once you get it back

In the sun, it's been cloudy till today. Before and after pics
IMG_1943.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Work is dead today, so, bumper time.

I got it mudded and primered. I only missed about four or five gouges total.

I'll block it next with a flexible block and 220 grit. Fill those missed gouges and reprimer it for a final blocking.
IMG_2061.JPG
IMG_2063.JPG
IMG_2064.JPG
IMG_2065.JPG

Reactions: 4 users
Got it blocked and filled in the gouges I missed from before. I also filled in one wave that just wasn't going to be blocked out with primer.

I'll leave it sit for a couple days while I work the hood (which I'm finally getting back from the blaster today).

I should have the bumper shot before the weekend.
IMG_2067.JPG
IMG_2068.JPG
IMG_2069.JPG
IMG_2070.JPG
IMG_2071.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
Awww hell:nonono:.

Soooooo, i got my hood back from the blaster today:nonono:.

They were supposed to blast the edges and the bracing underneath, right? Right.

AND they did blast the edges and bracing underneath, also the rest of the panel from the jamb side! DAMNIT!:dammit:

As long as they don't blast the flat parts, everything is copastetic. They blasted the flat, unsupported parts!:dammit:

What does this mean? It means my entire hood is completely screwed!

Since it's screwed, so am I, I can't afford to get another one.

Yeah, life is a bowl of cherries.

Ok, enough btchin'.

Since i have to fix it, i started with replacing the little foam seals that hold the hood to the brace that got blasted away. I used a seam sealer that will fill the gap between the two and harden fairly stiff. This will stop the majority of the "tin can" effect that i now have everywhere on the hood.

I can't do sht till that dries. So tomorrow i'll get the hood in etch and regular primer.

One thing i did prior to using the seam sealer was to finish stripping the hood. They didn't blast the top side because i guess they didn't want to warp it?:dammit:

After i get it primered, i'll get into fixing all of the warping. I'm just going to use a shrinking hammer and various dollies to get them straight. Whenever i get it fairly straight, i'll mud up what i can't straighten.

For those that are as lucky as me and have to fix something like this, The best thing to do is to start with a corner and fix that first dent and focus on it. Then go to the next, etc...

I have a couple pictures to show you. You won't really see the warping in these bare metal pictures. Wait till i spray the primer on it though, you may want someone with you in case you get faint from the sheer horror of it's appearance.
IMG_2072.JPG
IMG_2073.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.