84 t5 swap

• Sponsors (?)

t5 swap

I am assuming both the 1984 and the 1991 are both v-8 cars.( I forget when the turbo 4 cyl.was dropped as an option.) First the 1984 did not come stock with a t-5 transmission. A 4 speed was stock until 1987. The clutch diameter was increased to 11" in 1987 as well. From 1979 thru 1986 they had smaller clutches 10 or 10.5" dia. clutches. The 1979-1986 flywheel was drilled for the smaller pressure plate. A 11" pressure plate will not bolt to a 1979-1986 flywheel. Also engine HP was increased in 1987 over the 1986.REASON FOR BIGGER CLUTCH.
With the above disclaimers if the 1984 has had a T-5 put in it everything should bolt up. If the flywheel is stock from 1984 then you will need to update to run an 11" clutch.(flywheel,clutch disc,pressure plate)
There are many versions of the t-5 transmission. ALL T-5 WORLD CLASS TRANSMISSIONS ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL!!!!! They are rated from 235 ft-lbs to 330 ft-lbs of torque. I would highly recommend that you research what is in the 1984 before you swap it into your 1991. There should be an aluminum tag on the transmission(where the tailshaft housing bolts on ) that will identify the torque rating. The number to look for is 1352-XXX. The XXX number is the number to remember. It should be in the range of 100 to 260. Get on this site and search "t-5 torque rating". Print off a copy of the transmission ratings before you go look at the 1984 transmission.
You will find a chart that lists the three digit number. That number will tell you torque rating , gear ratios, 4 or 8 cylinder application, year used , type of input gear , type of bearings, etc. This should greatly influence whether you want to use the transmission. YOU DON'T WANT TO PUT A REBUILT 4 CYL. T-5 BEHIND A MODIFIED 302 ESPECIALLY WITHOUT A REV LIMITER. DON'T ASK ME HOW I FOUND OUT.
You will need: pedal assembly,clutch cable,bellhousing, clutch cable c clip, pilot bearing for a v-8,transmission , clutch , pressure plate , throw out bearing , clutch fork , clutch fork ball and nut (in bellhousing) , shifter , leather boot , shifter rubber boot , bolts and clips for leather boot , starter bolts.
There may be one other curve. There are two transmission output shaft splines. Standard is 28 splines but a stronger 31 is around. Make sure the AOD and the 5 speed are the same at 28 splines or you will need the coupling or driveshaft from the 5 speed.

You want an 86+ for a parts car. Trans ideally from a 91+

The 10.5 clutch started in 86. prior to that was 10" clutch and flywheel and single hump crossmember and not to mention wiring harness on the trans changed between 85 and 86.

So if you were to get the 84.. You'd chuck every part out basically in favor of 86+ parts

I am assuming both the 1984 and the 1991 are both v-8 cars.( I forget when the turbo 4 cyl.was dropped as an option.) First the 1984 did not come stock with a t-5 transmission. A 4 speed was stock until 1987. The clutch diameter was increased to 11" in 1987 as well. From 1979 thru 1986 they had smaller clutches 10 or 10.5" dia. clutches. The 1979-1986 flywheel was drilled for the smaller pressure plate. A 11" pressure plate will not bolt to a 1979-1986 flywheel. Also engine HP was increased in 1987 over the 1986.REASON FOR BIGGER CLUTCH.

You have your information wrong. T-5's were available as an option in 1983 and standard beginning in 1984 for manual transmission equipped Mustangs. It was not a WC trans though and the later models were stronger units.

When the T-5 became available in the '83 model year, it was not optional behind the 5.0L, it was standard. At that point the SROD went from being standard to optional, through the rest of the model year. The SROD was dropped after the end of the '83 model year.

In short it will all work just buy the newer clutch and flywheel. You will only need the tranny pigtails for the 87+ cars roughly 30 bucks on ebay. Thats all you need to know.

like said above. new bell and flywheel and it will bolt up. I ran an 84 tranny behind a 93 for years.for a cruiser it will be perfect. If you are beating it at the track I would look for a different tranny.