Build Thread 84ttop: I Suck At Updating This Thread...

• Sponsors (?)

So here it is... Changes are happening. We will be running a full season of Ultra Street this year at Cecil County as well as doing street car things like True Street and some local driven in race car events.
The motor is out and changes are happening. With out letting the whole cat out of the bag, new pistons are on their way as well as a new blower and camshaft. The biggest change is that the car will be ran non inter-cooled this year as we will be running Alcohol (Methanol). Hoping to have the motor back at the end of the month and car running a week or so later. As I have more pictures of the progress I'll post them up.
IMG_20150127_165128226.jpg

IMG_20150127_170413491_HDR.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Good move on the fuel change

When you say methanol, do you mean injection or as a main fuel?

Being that he is ditching the intercooler at his power level i would assume he is going to do a separate fuel system for the methanol and use it as a main fuel. A couple drag week guys did that last year, it will really simplify a car and you can potentially lose hundreds of pounds vs a car running on gas.

Reactions: 1 users
When you say methanol, do you mean injection or as a main fuel?
Methanol will be the main fuel, I can eliminate the inter cooler completely. The draw back is the need for a ridiculous fuel system. 12.5 gpm mechanical fuel pump at 100psi, -12 fuel rails and 500lb injectors
My question is... do you have someone who knows how to set a car up helping? Tire size correct??
we do all of our own chassis work and setup. The class specifies a 275/60/15 radial (non pro). The alcohol will be a little bit of a learning curve but I'm expecting 4.90's out of the combo once we dial it in with the ysi. The Xb105 will still be the choice for true street and should be capable of running 7.50's or better in the 1/4

Reactions: 1 user
Good move on the fuel change

Being that he is ditching the intercooler at his power level i would assume he is going to do a separate fuel system for the methanol and use it as a main fuel. A couple drag week guys did that last year, it will really simplify a car and you can potentially lose hundreds of pounds vs a car running on gas.
I will be 100 lbs lighter than last season in this class and even lighter in true street. Weighing out all the options alcohol was the best move we could come up with. I'm expecting the car to lay out almost 2000 hp with the Xb105 ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Were you maxed out on the gas tune? Guess it's a moot point now but I'm curious. I figured you had enough for 275x with some more time. Also curious why are you going to swap the blower back and forth? Couldn't you just play with the tune on the XB105 for the class/track/etc?

Were you maxed out on the gas tune? Guess it's a moot point now but I'm curious. I figured you had enough for 275x with some more time. Also curious why are you going to swap the blower back and forth? Couldn't you just play with the tune on the XB105 for the class/track/etc?
There is no doubt that we could have went 4.80's wit the old setup. Don't get me wrong that would make the show but would never win a race. I want to win, lol. The x275 field has gone as fast as 4.46 and there are several other cars that have run in the .50's already. I would literally need to invest another 100K$ to compete on that level and that just isn't in the cards. With a few small changes I can fit in the Ultra Street rules and feel like we can be a front runner in the class. I can race with the Ysi in Ultra (biggest blower allowed in ultra street, hence the change) and still run the Xb105 for True Street events. I will still be able to street drive the car and have some flexibility to run both classes. There was a minimal expense to make the change to Ultra, pistons and injectors being the biggest ones. The learning curve will be a little steep being my first alcohol car physically doing some tuning on. All of the other alcohol cars have had huge PSI screw blowers and mechanical injection on 10.5w cars. I think we should get it all together in short time and hope to be testing as soon as the weather breaks in NJ in the middle of March.

I also forget you're at those low altitude tracks. Lol. Most of the 275 cars Ive seen locally were winning at 4.80's. Looking forward to following your results. Good luck!

Methanol also has a much more forgiving tuning window than gasoline, which when making this kind of horsepower is priceless. There is a good article in last months hot rod magazine about it.

I'm surprised alcohol is legal in true street.

Methanol also has a much more forgiving tuning window than gasoline, which when making this kind of horsepower is priceless. There is a good article in last months hot rod magazine about it.

I'm surprised alcohol is legal in true street.
Don't rock the boat, lol. Using about 3 gallons a pass is the challenge in TS with alcohol. 9 gallons just for the passes plus needing enough for the 30 mile cruise and sitting in some traffic, lol. The true street rules are very easy to comply to, making it all happen on race day is the hard part.

The biggest benefit that I see to the alcohol is being able to substantially raise the compression to increase the hp and tq considerably. The tuning window and cooler combustion chamber temps are also a bonus. High compression blower motor....Yes Please!!!

Don't rock the boat, lol. Using about 3 gallons a pass is the challenge in TS with alcohol. 9 gallons just for the passes plus needing enough for the 30 mile cruise and sitting in some traffic, lol. The true street rules are very easy to comply to, making it all happen on race day is the hard part.

The biggest benefit that I see to the alcohol is being able to substantially raise the compression to increase the hp and tq considerably. The tuning window and cooler combustion chamber temps are also a bonus. High compression blower motor....Yes Please!!!

I see some of the drag week guys making the commute on gasoline and switching tunes and fuel over to alco at the track to make traveling easier. Is that just too complicated in your case?