85 5.0 v.s 2000 v6

Status
Not open for further replies.

V6Mustang04

Sep 12, 2004
ok, i know this chick with a nice 5.0, i drove it, it was loud, but that was pretty much it, i didnt feel the power of 5 liters in front of me. so when i got my v6 stang i was surprised at how much faster it was and how well it responded. why isnt the 5.0 more powerful

• Sponsors (?)

It was automatic wasn't it? If it was a 5-speed, in good shape, I'd say you'd lose by length to 100. They run 210 hp, 270 lb-ft. And some 5-speeds came with 3.27s. Besides, they weigh alot less than the SN95s.

Carlos

77sleeper said:
the 85 made 155hp, just the way it works.. the heads were the major drawback.

The '85 5-spd made 210HP and 285 TQ and that was breathing through a crappy exhaust. The AOD's got a CFI 5.0 making 180HP

The E5 heads are the same as E7's, but with lower compression ratio.

Stock '85's run low 15's to high 14's.

I have an '85 GT w/ T-tops....but it's not stock :)

All I can say is, I love the foxbody Stangs....BUT, I've walked every one that I've come across. Now, I'm not cocky and I know that some day a done up 5.0 is going to pack my lunch and eat it too. My point is only that you are right, the 5.0's STOCK are much slower than our V6 Stangs. A lot of people won't believe this, but I have pulled a few STOCK 94-98 model 4.6L's. Just thought I'd throw that in. Regardless, I'm really happy with my V6 and wouldn't be interested in forking out the additional money for a V8. Had one, 01 GT, not worth it in my opinion. But if I was going to buy another stang, it would have to be a 5.0 that I could tinker with. Only problem is finding one that hasn't already been killed... :(

Mean03V6 said:
All I can say is, I love the foxbody Stangs....BUT, I've walked every one that I've come across. Now, I'm not cocky and I know that some day a done up 5.0 is going to pack my lunch and eat it too. My point is only that you are right, the 5.0's STOCK are much slower than our V6 Stangs. A lot of people won't believe this, but I have pulled a few STOCK 94-98 model 4.6L's. Just thought I'd throw that in. Regardless, I'm really happy with my V6 and wouldn't be interested in forking out the additional money for a V8. Had one, 01 GT, not worth it in my opinion. But if I was going to buy another stang, it would have to be a 5.0 that I could tinker with. Only problem is finding one that hasn't already been killed... :(

I don't disagree w/ you. When I had my 01 six banger, I layed the smack down on SOME 5.0s, and SOME 96-98 4.6s. That doesnt mean you can beat ALL of them. Remember, driver has alot to do with the cars ability.
When I owned a V6, I also had (and still have!) a 5.0. When they raced eachother, the 5.0 won every time. It didnt' mater which car I drove, the 5.0 always won. But there were times I'd go to the track, race a 88 convertable 5.0 or something of the sort and run .2 faster than it in the v6.
5.0's are better platforms for mods. Remember, No replacement for displacement.
Anyways, I gave up on the 6 banger, high 14s simply wern't enough for me, and am happily driving a 04 4.6 AND a 88 5.0.

Mean03V6 said:
All I can say is, I love the foxbody Stangs....BUT, I've walked every one that I've come across.

Did they know you were racing? Most V6's I see, I ignore, or point and laugh at the Alteezas, wings, ugly body kits, or fart cans I see on them.

A stock 87-93 coupe or hatchback 5.0 with a good driver is an easy mid 14 second car. Throw on some UD pulleys, gears, exhaust, and a 10 minute tune, and you're a solid 13 second car.

Hax

Sir Hacksalot said:
Did they know you were racing? Most V6's I see, I ignore, or point and laugh at the Alteezas, wings, ugly body kits, or fart cans I see on them.
Hax

hold up here bud...where have you seen a 6 with a fart can?!?!?!, ive never seen such a thing and if i did, i'd definately smak the person across the face

98_stang_guy said:
hold up here bud...where have you seen a 6 with a fart can?!?!?!, ive never seen such a thing and if i did, i'd definately smak the person across the face

I did a couple of weeks ago. I didn't noticed at first, when I pulled up next to it. It was black and lowered with some nice chrome wheels and girl driving. Then the light turned green and as she pulled ahead I HEARD and saw it protruding under the bumper like the horrible eye sore it was. I don't see many, but they're out there. I was just greatful it was a Mustang and not ANOTHER 4 door piece of crap econo box.

98_stang_guy said:

THEY ARE EVERYWHERE.

I live in Ankeny, IA...just north of Des Moines, which is hardly the automotive trend capital of the world, and the most hidieous example of a ricestang that I have ever seen is right around the corner from my house. It's an Orange 1996-1998 six popper with a huge aluminum wing, and not one, but TWO fart cans, and some seriously ugly body kit on it. For the money the guy dumped on his 6 popper to make it look like that, he could have probably put together a nice solid 12 second 5.0, but then he would actually 'be fast' instead of 'looking fast'.

Right down the street from me, is a kid that has a 1999 V6 that again, has the ugly body kit...you know, one with the front air dam that extends about 5 feet in front of the car, big big wing, and a fart can.

At cruise night at Porky's (if there are any Iowa folks here, they know what I am talking about), I have seen one or two ricestangs roll in, and roll out wiht out stopping...and we all pointed and laughed, and said, "Poor little pony".

I see them alllllllllllllllllllll the time. The sad thing is that the owners of these cars really don't even KNOW what a 5.0 is, and think that their car is "fast" :lol: I have to admit, V6 Stangs aren't my cup of tea, but if you throw a blower or turbo on one, I am sure it can be quick...but other than putting a poweradder on one, calling it a 'performance' car just doesn't seem right...to me.

Hax

You must not have a lot to do in Iowa, besides sit around and watch TF&TF all day. :D

I go to school at UCF in Orlando, and you can't throw a Civic without hitting a V6 Mustang. Most are stock or tastefully modded, but with such a large amount of them it's a given there's gonna be a couple riced out ones.
I've seen a yellow '99, horrible body kit, turbo hood(like '80's Trans Ams) and, dual fart cans. :notnice:
Also seen a '94/'95 is BAD condition with the light up tailpipe. :notnice:
But like I said, MOST are decent. It pisses me off when arrogant V8 owners point to the handfull of idiotic V6ers as if they represent all of us.

A stock 87-93 coupe or hatchback 5.0 with a good driver is an easy mid 14 second car.

These cars are at least 11 years old now. You think they still perform like they're brand new? :shrug:

. A lot of people won't believe this, but I have pulled a few STOCK 94-98 model 4.6L's.

Problem with STOCK early 4.6's isn't anything to do with the engine. It's the gears. The stock 2.73's killed these cars. Any intelligent person with a '96-'98 GT would make gears their first mod.

Sir Hacksalot said:
Right down the street from me, is a kid that has a 1999 V6 that again, has the ugly body kit...you know, one with the front air dam that extends about 5 feet in front of the car, big big wing, and a fart can.

I think most of us will remember my thread on that 'complete race car' that had that bodykit, an di hated it so much i linked it from cardomain
also, when we were talking about acceptable body kits and those unacceptable, i used that one as unacceptable, i also used the same sarn body kit as an example of an unaceptable bodykit for a civic (which was pointed out to me later) i just hate it, it makes it look like a goose or something!?

[QUOTE='66 coupe]These cars are at least 11 years old now. You think they still perform like they're brand new? :shrug:
[/QUOTE]

Some can, some can't. Depends on the car.

My 16-years old 106,000 mile '88 automatic 5.0 still clicks off 14 flat ET's with just a few bolt ons. Hell it runs 2 tenths faster than my '03 GT which eveyone things should easily walk my 5.0.

98_stang_guy said:

What's real bad is when they put don't cut off the tip of the stock pipe, you know the part that points DOWN! They just throw a big old fart can tip on there and it points straight to the ground. FUGLY if you ask me.

Sir Hacksalot said:

THEY ARE EVERYWHERE.

I live in Ankeny, IA...just north of Des Moines, which is hardly the automotive trend capital of the world, and the most hidieous example of a ricestang that I have ever seen is right around the corner from my house. It's an Orange 1996-1998 six popper with a huge aluminum wing, and not one, but TWO fart cans, and some seriously ugly body kit on it. For the money the guy dumped on his 6 popper to make it look like that, he could have probably put together a nice solid 12 second 5.0, but then he would actually 'be fast' instead of 'looking fast'.

At cruise night at Porky's (if there are any Iowa folks here, they know what I am talking about), I have seen one or two ricestangs roll in, and roll out wiht out stopping...and we all pointed and laughed, and said, "Poor little pony".

I see them alllllllllllllllllllll the time. The sad thing is that the owners of these cars really don't even KNOW what a 5.0 is, and think that their car is "fast" :lol: I have to admit, V6 Stangs aren't my cup of tea, but if you throw a blower or turbo on one, I am sure it can be quick...but other than putting a poweradder on one, calling it a 'performance' car just doesn't seem right...to me.

Hax

Just wanted to say a couple of things. Number one, yes, the 5.0's I raced knew I was racing....but what an arrogant comment by you in the first place. Number two, I agree with '66coupe, you can't point at a few V6 Stangs and say, "Look, every V6 owner is a ricer." If that were the case, I could point at the 5.0 that lives down the street from me that's black with bright pink flames down the side and has an AEM license plate frame and say, "Man, all 5.0's are riced out." It's just not right. As for not calling a V6 Mustang a performance car, well, that depends on what you call fast. I don't want to get into a personal argument with you and I don't mean any offense, ok, but everything you've said so far indicates to me that you are just another arrogant V8 guy who thinks he can't get beat by a V6. I was invited to go on a night cruise last weekend with a bunch of Stang guys here around Houston. I pulled up and immediately I could just see the V8 guys pointing and laughing at my V6. I wound up turning around and not going b/c I knew that I'd have to deal with their stupidity all night long. It's one thing if you don't think someone's car looks good, but it's another to be a jerk about it i.e. point at their car and laugh or make comments, as you admit to doing. Once again, I don't mean to offend you, but I wanted to voice my view on the subject. As for single exhaust stangs which someone else mentioned, I see them now and again and it's nasty. But not a day goes by that I don't see a 94 or newer GT with Eurotails so you can't claim that the sixers are the only ones that get riced out. Personally, I say it's all personal preference (except for euro's...they don't look good on anything.) but the V8 guys seem to think that everyone out there wishes they had a V8, and it's simply not true. Just my $.02 cents as usual.

[QUOTE='66 coupe]You must not have a lot to do in Iowa, besides sit around and watch TF&TF all day. :D[/quote]

Actually, there isn't a lot to do, so I drink a lot, F*** my wife, and make fun of V6 guys all day long. :D

ROTFLMAO...actually, I have never seen F&F or TF&TF...but I do have a kill story relating to the first movie, that even you six popper guys will appreciate.

My wife and I had just left a movie, and F and F just let out. There were ricers EVERYWHERE. I was driving my company car, a 2000 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (3.8LV6, with a Superhcharger). We had the windows down and sunroof open, and this kid in an Acura Integra wtih *** stickers, a huge ass wing and a fart pipe was next to us, and he 'revved' his motor, and I started laughing. My wife says to him, "is your car fast?" Well, he starts revving his engine, and I simply turn off the Overdrive, and move the column shifter to L1 and powerbrake the car to about 2000 RPMS...the RACE IS ON MFER....light changes, and BOOM I destroy this guy...and even scratched second...who'd have thunk a big ass park avenue would do that. We catch a redlight, and my wife looks at him and says, laughing, "DUDE, WHAT HAPPENED, becauce you just got beat by a BUICK!" We repeat, apparantly, there is a rematch, and with much the same result, only this time, I turn on the hazards to let him know he got his ass handed to him...result, Flyby and the one finger salute.

I have no use for rice.

[QUOTE='66 coupe]These cars are at least 11 years old now. You think they still perform like they're brand new? :shrug: [/QUOTE]

I can't speak for all 5.0 mustangs, I have seen a lot of them that while they are 11 years old or more, and have a lot of miles, they are still very strong running cars. My red coupe has over 100K miles on it, and still runs deep in the 13's. The Reef Blue hatch has 100K miles and change, and is still very strong. Go check out the 5.0 Tech/Talk section, and do a search on high mileage cars, there are LOTS of 5.0 mustangs with over 100K miles that are running 13 and 14 second quarter miles, and dare a few that are in the 12's, or even 11's with a H/C/I swap on a high mileage short block.

Hax

Mean03V6 said:
Number two, I agree with '66coupe, you can't point at a few V6 Stangs and say, "Look, every V6 owner is a ricer." If that were the case, I could point at the 5.0 that lives down the street from me that's black with bright pink flames down the side and has an AEM license plate frame and say, "Man, all 5.0's are riced out." It's just not right. As for not calling a V6 Mustang a performance car, well, that depends on what you call fast. I don't want to get into a personal argument with you and I don't mean any offense, ok, but everything you've said so far indicates to me that you are just another arrogant V8 guy who thinks he can't get beat by a V6.

A couple of things...did you actually read what I wrote? You said you had never seen a ricestang, and I gave you several examples, and I do see a lot of them. I know that not all V6 Stangs are rice, and I unless I am mistaken, I never said that they were all rice. I just don't care for them, or consider them high performance performance cars.

From looking at the time slips, they are indeed respectable cars, hell, at least one of you guys has an 11 second car, but that thing's got a blower, etc., etc. on it, and that's actually kind of cool.

As for being another arrogant V8 guy that thinks he can't get beat by V6..there is a reason for that...IT'S NEVER HAPPENED.

Personally, I'd never own a V6 Mustang...it sort of defeats the purpose of having one, for me, but again, different strokes for different folks, heck, there are even people that actually LIKE the Mustang II, or even Crapmaro's...go figure.

Hax

Status
Not open for further replies.