85-86 Foxbody values?

stangboy13

Nov 23, 2010
What is a stock 85-86 Foxbody worth now, and about and much will it be worth in about 20 years? Just curious, cause you know, I have always been told that no question is dumb!

• Sponsors (?)

I guess it would all come down to the condition of the car. But already nice four eyed Mustangs are getting harder and harder to find. I would supose that could increase their collector value in the future? Its hard to tell, cars that weren't worth too much only ten years ago are selling for crazy prices now.

Kbb recently had 86-89 cars in fair condition booking for 6k. Honestly though unless you have an extremely low mileage original car I wouldn't expect to see more than 3-4k.

Rarity has nothing to do with price. It's desirability.

In fact. You might find a price difference between an 85 and 86 due to the 86 having efi, an 8.8" dual exhaust and other "upgrades" over the 85.

5.0 lx coupes were extremely rare these years, but they command no premium over the gt hatch cars these days.

Cars are poor investments. Buy a car to enjoy it, not what it will be worth in 20 years. Go buy a rare coin for $1000 and you'll probably get a bigger return on your investment for 20 years vs buying an 85 gt.

A car is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay, and buyers for Fox mustangs seem to be split down the middle- some hate 4 eyes, some love them.

I paid exactly $5K for mine in 2002. It was bone stock except for a CD player, had 30K miles on it, in nearly perfect condition, and the owner had to take the dust cover off of it so I could sit in it.

Some would say it was a killer find, some will say I overpaid. I prefer the former.

A car is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay, and buyers for Fox mustangs seem to be split down the middle- some hate 4 eyes, some love them.

I paid exactly $5K for mine in 2002. It was bone stock except for a CD player, had 30K miles on it, in nearly perfect condition, and the owner had to take the dust cover off of it so I could sit in it.

Some would say it was a killer find, some will say I overpaid. I prefer the former.

:drool: 30k?....:nonono: damnit, why can't I find something like that? I love 4eyes. My best bud's got an 86 notch 4cyl we're about to break off a v8 in...Before my 93 I had an 84 gt.....fav's the 85/86 though! Did I tell you you suck? j/k!:D

I saw one for 1599 :shrug:

:p

Haha, I even had you in mind when I posted that. You always seem to find cherries for dirt cheap. Maybe it's a Cali thing...?

:drool: 30k?....:nonono: damnit, why can't I find something like that? I love 4eyes. My best bud's got an 86 notch 4cyl we're about to break off a v8 in...Before my 93 I had an 84 gt.....fav's the 85/86 though! Did I tell you you suck? j/k!:D

Funny thing is, I was 17 at the time and I didn't even want a 4 eye. I wanted an 87+ GT. My dad went with me to look at it and basically told me I was nuts not to buy it. You know, t-top car, black, low mileage, not abused... Thank God I had him with me, I was young and dumb. So we took it home.

Don't worry, I've ruined it since then, haha. Now it has almost 90K on it, the paint looks like hell, I hit a deer and cracked the lower front bumper, and I drive the dog **** out of it. It's been a 9-year long learning experience, but I still love the car. :burnout:

Haha, I even had you in mind when I posted that. You always seem to find cherries for dirt cheap. Maybe it's a Cali thing...?

Funny thing is, I was 17 at the time and I didn't even want a 4 eye. I wanted an 87+ GT. My dad went with me to look at it and basically told me I was nuts not to buy it. You know, t-top car, black, low mileage, not abused... Thank God I had him with me, I was young and dumb. So we took it home.

Don't worry, I've ruined it since then, haha. Now it has almost 90K on it, the paint looks like hell, I hit a deer and cracked the lower front bumper, and I drive the dog **** out of it. It's been a 9-year long learning experience, but I still love the car. :burnout:

Maybe or I just know how to smooze better? :shrug: I think the best deal I have got to this day was either my gauge cluster for $500 nib or my 347 long block for 1600 shipped Hell or even the car for $500(even if it is a salvage title)

Well sounds like the only thing to do now is an area swap :)

Maybe or I just know how to smooze better? :shrug: I think the best deal I have got to this day was either my gauge cluster for $500 nib or my 347 long block for 1600 shipped Hell or even the car for $500(even if it is a salvage title)

Well sounds like the only thing to do now is an area swap :)

Ha, I'd be screwed with your smog laws. You guys have awesome weather, though, I'd love that.

Just my opinion mind you, but I remember seeing 67-68 and 69 Camaros, 67-70 Mustangs all over the place when I was a kid. You could pick one up for next to nothing. Now, a nice well kept low mileage 69 Camaro is worth a mint. 67 Fastback Stangs are untouchable (course they were then too), but even a plain, base model Camaro or Firebird in real nice shape and low miles is going to go for a good price nowadays. They've all been modded, raced, wrecked and cut up. Foxes are headed in the same direction. Keep your Fox nice and clean, don't wreck it, and one day it'll be in that same category as those old Mustangs, Camaros and Firebirds.

What is a stock 85-86 Foxbody worth now, and about and much will it be worth in about 20 years? Just curious, cause you know, I have always been told that no question is dumb!

If you want a Fox as a collector, you have to find one with 30G or less miles in unmolested original condition with all of the vehicle history and......sleep on it for 20 years.

You'd have to ask yourself this...If you invested that same amount...say 9G; what would that be worth in 20 years time?

Most of us who have clean Foxes, scored them when you could still acquire a truly clean Fox for a realistic price.

I've been watching the Fox market now for the last four years pretty strongly, and while you have an occasional goober on here claiming to have stolen one...I haven't seen a decent one for a respectable price in a long time.

Original paint turns out to be crappy repaints with overspray all in the wheel wells, torn floors, rattle canned engine compartments, nasty weather stripping, most bolts under the hood rusted up but they are all advertised at above average condition.