85-86 Foxbody values?

Just my opinion mind you, but I remember seeing 67-68 and 69 Camaros, 67-70 Mustangs all over the place when I was a kid. You could pick one up for next to nothing. Now, a nice well kept low mileage 69 Camaro is worth a mint. 67 Fastback Stangs are untouchable (course they were then too), but even a plain, base model Camaro or Firebird in real nice shape and low miles is going to go for a good price nowadays. They've all been modded, raced, wrecked and cut up. Foxes are headed in the same direction. Keep your Fox nice and clean, don't wreck it, and one day it'll be in that same category as those old Mustangs, Camaros and Firebirds.

Yep, but I almost think that eventually, Foxes will be more like the old Model Ts and Model As. Sure, every once in a while someone will have a perfectly restored one, and that's neat, but people want to see the chopped deuce dragging on the ground and running some obnoxious built V8.

its just more "expensive"

That's what sucks right there! Some of the best parts aren't smog compliant.

• Sponsors (?)

Cars are poor investments. Buy a car to enjoy it, not what it will be worth in 20 years. Go buy a rare coin for $1000 and you'll probably get a bigger return on your investment for 20 years vs buying an 85 gt.

^ this

There is no way of knowing what the market will give in 20 years. Honestly the 80s cars brought back a bit of the feeling of the muscle car years but they werent the first muscle cars so I dont think that they will have the same "Barrett-Jackson" style appeal.

Yep, but I almost think that eventually, Foxes will be more like the old Model Ts and Model As. Sure, every once in a while someone will have a perfectly restored one, and that's neat, but people want to see the chopped deuce dragging on the ground and running some obnoxious built V8.

If you're right, I'm in good shape. My Fox would make a damn good example of Mad Max's interceptor, a hodgepodge of Fox/Ford parts all thrown together. I've even thought of going flat black since the paint is crap. :lol:

got my 86 Notch for $500. It only has 60k miles as it's been sitting for the last 15 years in a barn after the battery went dead. Given, it's a royal POS, with the paint faded and a good share of scratches and dings from being where it was, but it's straight, no underbody rust at all, and after a little poking and prodding, it runs pretty decent.

There was recently an article in 5.0 Magazine talking about the 'Value' of a fox. I believe some valid points were made.

Due to the economy, the price of all cars has dropped lower than the value of what a car really is, in my opinion.

I differently think the fox will be more valuable in good condition and as the baby boomers generation fades; the generation linked to the fox will drive up the value on demand of a good clean car whether a nice original or a moded clean tasteful example.

For me the 85-86 is hard to beat as far as front end looks, but like my aero car for what the improvements it offers as one of the last years of the fox and like the more modern aero interior better.

I paid more than most for mine but it came with a trailer and a lot of mods to begin with, I could not find myself buying an ultra clean original for about the same money and moding from there. I like to mod my car and have it just the way I want it. I never plan to sell mine nor did I buy for investment but have found it interesting to watch my favorite affordable childhood car of all times increase in value.
Scott

I've stated my belief on this matter before, but here it is again:

My theory is that the "hot collectible car" is the car that the guys with money now couldn't afford when they were in their late teens and early 20's. Look at the guys that are buying 60's muscle at the ridiculous prices on Barrett-Jackson as I type this. For the most part, they're guys in their 60's that are now financially successful and can afford to buy what they want. My dad's generation (he'd be 83 if he was still alive) wanted the cars from the 40's and 50's. For his generation, the shoebox Chevy was king. I graduated high school in 1980. For me, the Fox Mustang was the $hit. It was the hottest car available during my early adulthood. Now that I'm more experienced and financially set, I'll pay good money for a quality Fox car. I have several friends that are all within 5 years +/- of me that are in exactly the same boat. We all own them because we couldn't afford them when we were 21 and they were new. Another 10 or 15 years and I think you'll see the prices for quality cars bringing some serious coin.

Yeah, my dad's trying to get me to build the car pretty radical, and i'm not sure that I want to do that, because in 20 years or so, a stock fox is going to be bringing some serious money.

Yeah, my dad's trying to get me to build the car pretty radical, and i'm not sure that I want to do that, because in 20 years or so, a stock fox is going to be bringing some serious money.

Meh, I wouldn't count on it. A stock Fox GT or LX 5.0 ten or twenty years from now may bring the equivalent of $15K or $25K now. It will be the Saleens, SVOs, Cobras, etc. that will be pulling BIG money.