86 5.0 beat by a 4cyl altima???sound right

ok before I took my motor apart I raced a friend at the track with a 99 altima 2.4 4cyl 5 speed.took me in the 1/8 mile.got me off the line twice and beat me twice.on the 1/4 mile I took it twice but not by much.does this seem right for a 86 mustang on 30k miles with a stock rebuild?
altima was stock except for gutted cat and CAI

• Sponsors (?)

This may come as a suprise to some people, but stock 5 liter mustangs are not fast and are slower than many newer sedans....
86 wasn't exactly the peak of the 5.0 performance either.
With a few mods you could roll the hell out of that altima though

I had an 86 that ran 14.5, stock other than exhaust.. There is no way that a 2.5 altima is going to beat a stock mustang..I am driving a 2010 2.5 altima right now as a rental car and it is a dog. At least a 16.. But prob worse in the 1/4 mile.. If your stang is auto that doesent help though. Mine was a 5 SPd.. Not all mustangs are created equal either though..

It's possible, they had 200HP. I had a 98 Grand Prix GTP 2door that was bone stock beside a drop in K&N. It ran 14.25@99MPH with a 2.2 60ft time. I beat a couple older fox bodies on the street very easily. Stomped them from a light, edged them from a 40-60 roll.

If he beat you out of the hole (maybe because you spun?) then it's quite possible. Like mentioned, these cars really weren't rockets when they were totally stock. They were fun and torquey but there are seriously minivans with more HP and V6's that will destroy a stock 5.0 in both torque and horsepower. Look at the new 3.7 Mustang engine...300hp and i think 280lb/ft of torque. That is badass for a V6 and it still gets 30mph.

Those early altimas were also small cars. They've grown in size the last 10 years to the boat they are today. A 200HP 4-banger could easily move that little car around with some pep.

I'd take a nice 3.5 SE-R though...too bad it's FWD. :(

My old 86 GT with long tubes, X pipe and cat back (and 167K) ran consistent 13.90-.94's @ 100-101 in the 1/4. It had 3.08's, circle track slicks, and I bought it from the orig owner, only thing done engine wise was v/c gaskets in those 167k. What gears in this car? 2.73's even with a few mods would really kill the times, especially with a bad driver. Good tires?
Also where were you shifting? I found my car ran it's best times if it was shifted at 5k on the nose. It would slow down as much as .7 shifting it at 5500 RPM.

Actually its exactly how it should be 86's had like what 200hp at the flywheel? The altima probabbly has around the same hp. stock 5.0's arent that fast. My 08 G6 would slaughter a stock 5.0 and its a pontiac.

My old 86 GT with long tubes, X pipe and cat back (and 167K) ran consistent 13.90-.94's @ 100-101 in the 1/4. It had 3.08's, circle track slicks, and I bought it from the orig owner, only thing done engine wise was v/c gaskets in those 167k. What gears in this car? 2.73's even with a few mods would really kill the times, especially with a bad driver. Good tires?
Also where were you shifting? I found my car ran it's best times if it was shifted at 5k on the nose. It would slow down as much as .7 shifting it at 5500 RPM.

100-101? That's pretty good. Last time I was at the track, my car was trapping (don't anybody laugh) like 96-97. I have 3.73s, shorty headers/full exhaust, Explorer intake, pulleys, 70mm TB, etc, etc. That was low-14 sec ETs on street tires and 17" wheels. The car also had a hot-start issue, so I literally drove it to the track, made three passes, and drove home without ever turning it off. I'm hoping to go back this season with real tires, be able to turn the car off and let it cool down between passes and nab mid/high 13s (as lame as that sounds, haha). I'll be curious to see if I break 100mph.

Anyway, what really kills the '86 are the damn shrouded-valve E6 heads. A car like mine with E7s instead of E6s would probably run a full second faster in the 1/4.

100-101? That's pretty good. Last time I was at the track, my car was trapping (don't anybody laugh) like 96-97. I have 3.73s, shorty headers/full exhaust, Explorer intake, pulleys, 70mm TB, etc, etc. That was low-14 sec ETs on street tires and 17" wheels. The car also had a hot-start issue, so I literally drove it to the track, made three passes, and drove home without ever turning it off. I'm hoping to go back this season with real tires, be able to turn the car off and let it cool down between passes and nab mid/high 13s (as lame as that sounds, haha). I'll be curious to see if I break 100mph.

Anyway, what really kills the '86 are the damn shrouded-valve E6 heads. A car like mine with E7s instead of E6s would probably run a full second faster in the 1/4.

:lol: :rlaugh: Oh wait... sorry you said NOT to laugh. :D

with gt 40 heads,4vr pistons,tfs1 cam,1.6 rr's,explorer intake,70mm tb,maf conversion, cobra 70mm maf cal'd for 19lb'ers,k&n cai,aftermarket headers,offroad h-pipe and flowmaster cat back I should get the little ba$tard,lol
thats going to be my set up.if anyone has anything against that or if they think I should change anything let me know.