'86 GT purchase advice?

bbenthin

Dec 24, 2002
Seattle
I'm a vintage guy by nature, but am starting to get into Foxes again (had an '87 GT a while back).

I have a line on a cheap '86 GT 5spd car with 130k and some (what appears to be) cosmetic front end damage. It's ugly, but for $700...who cares? I'm still inquiring as to how well it runs, overall drivetrain condition, etc. My plan is to turn this into a dedicated track car.

My question is, are there any red flags to be aware of when looking at an '86?
If there's a comprehensive post already out there on this subject, I apologize for being oblivious to it. :shrug:

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The 86 mustang is the first year of fuel injection and they only made that front end for 85 and 86. as a collector car it great. they also have diffrent heads thatn the 87 - 93 I like the 86 mustang it has metal door handles and the others have plastic.

rust in front subframe/shock tower bases, front subframe & floorpan rust and damage (rust esp in toe-boards, damage at seat mounts), torque box damage, rust behind door hinges in the A pillar, of course check the extent of colission damage. the heads suck and it has flat top pistons, some say high lift cams cant be used with the stock pistons, others say they have no problems. factory true dual exhaust and 8.8 rear are bonuses. other than that just go over it as you would any other car, if you want to make a track-only car out of it then the typical fox mustang annoyances are of no concern to you...hope this helps

Found another one, this time an '85 with no motor/trans for $400.
Some minor damage to the RR quarter, interior sucks, but it'd be going to the dumpster anyway.

This one would be a 7.5" rear end, right?

The missing drive train is more work than I was looking for initially, but the idea of a carbed car appeals to me. At least this guy is quick to respond. My only worry is that once I have found an engine and trans I'm right at $2k anyway and should save myself some hassle.

Thoughts? Ideas? Verbal abuse? :p