86 owners..

My 86 Gt has sat for around 4 years without being started. I dropped the tank and have replaced the whole pump assembly, filler neck grommet, and the tank itself. I cant find a fuel level sending unit to replace mine that isnt working...
Anybody else replaced their sending unit ? whats your story?

• Sponsors (?)

I dropped my tank to put a Walbro pump in a few months ago, just noticed my gauge quit. Didn't mess with my sender. Just haven't had the ambition to drop the tank again. Resetting the trip meter at fill up works fine for now....
Below is a thread I came across recently while researching my sender...didn't know Ford used a different sender in 1986.
How to get ur fuel sending unit working on a 1986 mustang........

If u own a 1986 mustang and the fuel gauge doesn't work, most likely its the sending unit. Unfortunately the 86 stang is the only year that ford used this sending unit. U CAN"T BUY ONE NEW. AND THEY R HARD TO FIND IN JUNKYARDS. But what u can do is buy a Topaz fuel sending unit assemble and and swap it on to urs. I've tried it and it does work. he is the details and step by step. http://www.foureyedpride.com/joom/in...article&id=105

My 86 Gt has sat for around 4 years without being started. I dropped the tank and have replaced the whole pump assembly, filler neck grommet, and the tank itself. I cant find a fuel level sending unit to replace mine that isnt working...
Anybody else replaced their sending unit ? whats your story?

Hey, I just went thru this issue with my 86 that sat for years.

Short answer: There are no more 86 sending units being made - unless in that past month. Others have gone to Dorman product for a guts swap of the sender-unit from the Ford Tempo and the likes to the shell of the 86. Chances are you 86sender is TOAST! and in no condition for a graft.

The problem , and the reason you can't jst use the 87-93 Fox unit is that the resistance, mating to the fuel gauge does not match you 86 gauge. Your 86 gauge won't read right with the 87-93 unit. I can give you more specs and direction on where to learn more if you'd like to pursue the guts swap, but the Dorman pieces are hard to find now as well. LMK

I am using and aftermarket gauge cluster with a matching guage to the 87-93 sender unit from Autometer.... Hey, most aftermarket parts suppliers won't be versed on this 86 issue so don't just by anything out there.

Hope this helps,

Dwayne

Hey, I just went thru this issue with my 86 that sat for years.

Short answer: There are no more 86 sending units being made - unless in that past month. Others have gone to Dorman product for a guts swap of the sender-unit from the Ford Tempo and the likes to the shell of the 86. Chances are you 86sender is TOAST! and in no condition for a graft.

The problem , and the reason you can't jst use the 87-93 Fox unit is that the resistance, mating to the fuel gauge does not match you 86 gauge. Your 86 gauge won't read right with the 87-93 unit. I can give you more specs and direction on where to learn more if you'd like to pursue the guts swap, but the Dorman pieces are hard to find now as well. LMK

I am using and aftermarket gauge cluster with a matching guage to the 87-93 sender unit from Autometer.... Hey, most aftermarket parts suppliers won't be versed on this 86 issue so don't just by anything out there.

Hope this helps,

Dwayne

Thanks for the info. Im hoping i can try to clean my sender up with some carb cleaner and it will come back to life, but i doubt it. Guess ill be watching craigslist for a 86 fuel tank someone swapped out for a fuel cell.

That's an option, just be sure to ask if the car was consistanly running before the swap.

LMK if the cleanup works. If not I'll try to put you in a better direction. Is it a must-do-now fix or are you in a rebuild mode? I have part numbers for the Dorman Tempo unit. You may be able to hunt it down. Also have complete instruction with photos on how to do it - It's easy. I opted not because I bought a really nice full instrument cluster with autometer gauges, so the stock fuel gauge wouldnot be used anymore. This way, I had autometer match me up a gauge to the resistance of the 87-93.

LMK,

Dwayne

That's an option, just be sure to ask if the car was consistanly running before the swap.

LMK if the cleanup works. If not I'll try to put you in a better direction. Is it a must-do-now fix or are you in a rebuild mode? I have part numbers for the Dorman Tempo unit. You may be able to hunt it down. Also have complete instruction with photos on how to do it - It's easy. I opted not because I bought a really nice full instrument cluster with autometer gauges, so the stock fuel gauge wouldnot be used anymore. This way, I had autometer match me up a gauge to the resistance of the 87-93.

LMK,

Dwayne

Its more of a slow restomod, piece together that ive been planning for years. Drove the car in high school, always wanted it fast, well faster. Now it will be, but id like to have a working fuel gauge. Ill let you know how it goes.