87 5.0 Head Gasket Problem

nicdec19

Dec 23, 2013
so i started off just wanting to put the headers and intake I had on and in the process an intake bolt on the very back driver side got broken. Long story short I took the heads off and replaced gaskets and when I got it all together and fired it up it smoked white and smelled sweet out of only the passenger side exhaust, so I took it back apart and installed another head gasket and the problem is still there. It's worth saying that before I took it apart the second time I chekhed the plugs and the number four plug was a little wet on the threads. Another thing was coolant was being overflowed out of the overflow so I think compression gases were pushing coolant out, haven't done anything after this second time any advice would help

• Sponsors (?)

So many things could be a factor. I'll throw out a few possibiities. Best to do a compression test and cylinder balance test first.

Deck warped
Heads warped/cracked
Deck and/or head not clean
Head gasket on upside down
Heads not torqued properly
Head bolts- did you reuse the stock ones? Are they ARP? Studs or bolts. what torque setting and sequence
What did you put on the head bolts- moly, pipe sealer,
Did you chase down and clean out all the head bolt holes first
head dowels?
The snapped head bolt hole in the deck- how was it repaired

So many things could be a factor. I'll throw out a few possibiities. Best to do a compression test and cylinder balance test first.

Deck warped
Heads warped/cracked
Deck and/or head not clean
Head gasket on upside down
Heads not torqued properly
Head bolts- did you reuse the stock ones? Are they ARP? Studs or bolts. what torque setting and sequence
What did you put on the head bolts- moly, pipe sealer,
Did you chase down and clean out all the head bolt holes first
head dowels?
The snapped head bolt hole in the deck- how was it repaired
Reused head bolts,used white permatex thread sealer, broke an intake manifold bolt not the head bolt, used torque sequence off of alldata, the head gasket will only line up right one way so I didn't mess that up, I'm leaning towards a warped head

Reused head bolts,used white permatex thread sealer, broke an intake manifold bolt not the head bolt, used torque sequence off of alldata, the head gasket will only line up right one way so I didn't mess that up, I'm leaning towards a warped head
And I just used shop air to blow out the head bolt holes and only used thread sealer on the bottom head bolts

The cylinder head bolts are reusable, but some new ARP bolts are a better plan. Be aware that the ARP bolts have a radiused shank under the bolt head. The ARP washers have a matching radius machined into them. Be sure that the machined radius of the washer is fitted next to the machined radius on the ARP bolt heads. Forget this little fact and you will never get the head bolts to torque down properly.

Coat the underside of all bolt heads with anti seize and the threads of the long bolts. The short bolts thread directly into the water jacket and need a different treatment. Use Teflon Pipe dope on the threads of the short head bolts. It will prevent any coolant seepage from around the threads. You can get the Teflon pipe dope from the hardware stores, Home Depot or Lowes.