87-93 aod shifter handle removal

• Sponsors (?)

Does anyone know if the shift indicator doesn't match up exactly on the shifter if that can be adjusted. I do not have the cable on yet just going by the clicks within the shifter. Thanks for the info on the handle but if this can't be adjusted i'm not going to mess with the handle. thanks jason

When the handle comes off is the spring and a bunch of other clips and whatever else is in there gonna fly out? Can the selector line on the shifter be lined up with the letters on the shifter? My whole point of taking the handle off is to line up the selector line if this can't be lined up i don't need to take the handle off and end up breaking something. Thanks for all your help. Jason

aod handle

The trans is not even in the car right now nor is the cable on the shifter. I'm just trying to line the selector line to the letters on the shifter. Park selector should line up with P push button in and put it in reverse should line up with R click sould be in neutral N click drive right now selector is between neutral and drive not lined up with drive and it gets worse from there. Hopefully this helps out thanks jason

well then theres something broken because the pointer goes around the shifter rod that the handle attaches to. go ahead and remove the handle, trim, and the 4 bolts that hold the indicator to the shifter base. someone probably had it apart and broke something.

I've got the shifter apart there doesn't seem that anything is broken the indicator goes around the shifter (tube) and it moves with the shifter. I don't know why it won't line up park rev neutral line up od drive 1 don't line up thanks Jason

if some of the positions line up but others dont, then your problem is the transmission, not the shifter. i had that problem too. i put a tbird AOD in my mustang, it had a different shift lever on the transmission (longer). so that the gears were further apart. it sounds like you put your shifter cable on in park or reverse or neutral, and the other gears dont line up because the shifter gate does not match the transmission detents.

But the trans is not even in the car nor is the cable on the shifter! The shifter is bolted to the tunnel thats it. Its like the little needle isn't aligned right maybe a bushing missing not sure. The little needle goes around the shifter and moves with it indicating what gear it will be in. thanks Jason