87-93 Cobra Bumper??

MustangGT01

Founding Member
Mar 16, 2001
Unemployment, Ohio
I'm trying to find a 87-93 Cobra front bumper cover for 89 GT I'm having repaired at the shop. I have looked high and low and am having a hard time finding one anywhere. Does anyone here have any ideas? I'm trying to stay away from fiberglass. The body guy says they are about the worst thing to get as far as quality and work involved. Any ideas guys? I'm looking for something in the $400 range.

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

MustangGT01 said:
I always figgured the bumper came in one piece. I found one from Dallas Mustang for $180 but no pic to look at it or any description of what it is made of.

nope, just buy the insert for the grill. I bought one from CJ Pony Parts for $100 shipped to my door. I have to idea why a piece of urethane and a running pony is so expensive though :shrug:

Kurt2002 said:
What do you have to do to put a Cobra grill in a 1993 GT? My GT looks like it is all one piece.

You acutally have to cut a rectangular hole in the front part of the bumper around where the FORD symbol is. Then you put the insert over the hole you cut. If done correctly, it can look like a very clean installation and not a hack job

I checked with Latemodel resto and they look like they have a good deal there. The body guy and I are going to finalize the parts tomarrow morning. How is the quality of LRS parts? Anyone have any previous expierience working with them or their parts?

:nice:

Thanks Cobra, I was thinking there had to be a reason for a $40 dealer bumper difference between the two. I've decided to go with the GT bumper with the insert since fender spats would need to be replaced to match perfectly... those didn't get toasted in my wreck.

Cobra1894 said:
The Cobra bumper is not the same as a GT! I have a 93 Cobra... The GT has an air inlent of some sort on the side. It serves no purpose. The Cobra does not have the inlet...

...very true, but unless you are building a cobra clone it really doesn't matter IMO. if you really want to spend the extra $ for the real cobra bumper cover go ahead (i agree it does look better) but for most people they just want the running horse anyway so gt bumper is the way to go.

regarding LRS quality: i'm pretty sure the cobra kit i mentioned earlier is an aftermarket look-a-like which generally don't line up with the fenders quite as well as Ford OEM parts. shouldn't be a problem though, just a little more work.

-steve

Cobra1894 said:
No, it starts on the bumper and continues down the molding under the door. I do not have this inlet, and the GTs do on their bumper.
NO YOUR WRONG COBRA,I paid extra money at ford dealer and ordered the 93 cobra frt bumper and it was a gt bumper with a template for cutting the hole for the grill it was a gt bumper!!.the skirting under the door is also seperate from the bumper and the vents are also seperate bolt on pieces the fenders are all the same on them also.cervinnis sells the non vent cobra pieces also.get your ***** strait.

asmo8850 said:
NO YOUR WRONG COBRA,I paid extra money at ford dealer and ordered the 93 cobra frt bumper and it was a gt bumper with a template for cutting the hole for the grill it was a gt bumper!!.the skirting under the door is also seperate from the bumper and the vents are also seperate bolt on pieces the fenders are all the same on them also.cervinnis sells the non vent cobra pieces also.get your ***** strait.

Edit... got to stop posting while drunk....

I got it in the shop yesterday with the parts all in and ready to go. Next week the top will be installed and we'll be ready for the next thing on the list of fun stuff to replace. Looking like an bonafied Cobra isn't an issue for us really. Everyone already know there were no convertible Cobra's to begin with so we're just going for a styling that we like. I looked at the hood and was surprised it was a Cervini's. Talk about great quality I was impressed. It really made me wonder what cheap ass knock off I had for a cowel hood. I bought the car used so I had no idea where the fiberglass came from. All I know is the Saleen wing is cracked all the way around. The chinese trunk lid doesn't fit worth a crap. And the hood wasn't finished it was painted black unsanded fiberglass underneath.

The next replacement we are thinking about is the sideskirts and rear bumper. The rear bumper I've never liked on a GT, looks like a grils frilly dress. We're going with the Cobra bumper from Cervini since it has a cleaner more agressive look. After that we'll change out the trunk lid and spoiler. Then move on into the interior for a much needed refreashening and new color. The seats, carpet, and a few interior parts will have to go for replacements. I'm also planning on changing out the instrument display to the Phantom type. I need some accuracy that the old Ford gauges just can't seem to give me.

;) I'll have pictures when we get the car back next week.

Hey MeanMussy,

From the looks of your comment I don't believe you have ever seen a real '93 Cobra. I have seen plenty of them at the Carlisle All Ford Nationals for the past eight years, and every one had a Cobra grill insert stuck in the grille. I don't believe everyone there was trying to pass off a fake for a '93 Cobra.