87-93 oem speaker impedance

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
87-93 oem speaker information

Anyone have their 87-93 original speakers kicking around?

I have the dash speakers for a premium stereo car and they are 5.5 ohms each. They non-premium speakers might be different.

Need someone who has rear speakers and door speakers to measure. I have a feeling ford used 6 ohm speakers...at least in the doors.

Just trying to avoid blowing the oem 1993 amp/cd player by running 4 ohm speakers where 6 ohm speakers should be

• Sponsors (?)

This isn't going to help you any, but...

Unfortunately the DC resistance measured with an ohmmeter and the impedance are not the same. Impedance is the opposition to flow of current in an AC circuit and takes into account frequency, capacitance, resistance, and inductance. Your ohmmeter readings will not reflect the actual impedance of the speaker.

See Resistance vs. Impedance and What is the difference between resistance and impedance? for more information.

That's true, but at least using resistance gives me some sort of values to compare to.

My aftermarket dash and door speakers (which are 4 ohm impedance) measure about 3.2 ohms resistance.

But at least if someone tells me their oem door and rear speakers are 6ohm of resistance...then I know I really need to look into my speakers or I run the risk of overpowering the amp and blowing it up. But of someone tells me they are around 3-4 ohms or so....then I figure I am okay.

Problem is nobody has their oem speakers anymore. Mine dry-rotted a long time ago.

Of course, in my lovely research into the way the mustang is wired, I found that the way ford wired the cars with 6 speakers was to wire the dash and door in parallel, but install a bass blocking capacitor on the dash speakers. Since most of the energy for a speaker to produce sound is expended making low/mid sounds, keeping them out of the dash speakers more or less produces a 4-speaker setup, with a tweeter..sort of.

Okay, got radio all set up, but now I'm curious.

I have in my possession a pair or speakers supposedly from a 1993 lx.....part number is F4ZF-18971-AA That's a 1994 engineering number though. But guy says they came from a 1993. Plug is different than what is on my 88

On eBay, I see an auction for the same speakers, auction states originals from a 1993 also. So now I'm curious.

So...of anyonenhas oem speakers....got part numbers?

premium dash speakers are p/n E6DF-18808-CC
Non- premium dash speakers are E6DF-18808-BC

No, I'm not putting stock speakers in my car...I'm just trying to put some information together due to the total lack of info on stock fox mustang stereo systems