87-93 replacement door speaker panels?

alanw6

Dec 19, 2002
memphis, TN
Lately, I've been tinkering in my shop with a new machine and I've been looking for a "subject" to work with. Since I still get PMs from people wanting me to build them a copy of my 92's door speaker pods, I decided to make this my subject. It's not an *exact* copy, since I was curious to see what a true 2-way setup would look like.

So far, this is where I'm at:

8793doorpod1.jpg

8793doorpod2.jpg

I had the chance to test fit this one today, and it looked GREAT in the car!

Just wanted to share some pics of my latest project. It's turning out pretty well, so I'm excited! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the enthusiasm, but let's please not get this thread closed. :nice:

Should I try a 6.5" version? It would be a bit bigger/bulkier on the door, but it's certainly doable. I really liked how this fit the car (5.25"), and will try to get some pics tomorrow in-car. Definitely doable as a coaxial mounting location, as that's what I did in my own car:

passenger_door_final.jpg

A door panel made for a 6.5" could also be used with a set of Q-forms in the kick panels for a pretty nice 3-way setup. :shrug:

alanw6, do you mind posting some pics of your other creations? I remember there was a thread like this a while back but I can't find it.

Thanks for the kind words. I really enjoy making stuff like this. Anything in particular you'd like to see? I've got a few gigs of pics laying around... :)

I'd like to see more pics of panels that you made to replace the map pocket/speaker area.

Here's the thread where I detailed the step-by-step of my entire audio system install. The door panel construction begins near the bottom of the first page:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/531956-return-custom-audio-build-diary.html

BTW Have you ever thought about making a mold and mass producing some of your designs? You could make some good money on ebay.

Click the link in my signature. I'm with you on your idea! ;)