'87 GT: Installing Aftermarket Stereo into Stock Console Opening?

66Resto91

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Apr 26, 2004
I'm toying with the idea of putting an aftermarket radio in my '87 GT. The console I have is mint, and I hate the idea of using one of those screw-in block-off plates you can buy to install an aftermarket stereo. It took me quite a while to find a console that hadn't been drilled for an aftermarket radio, and I'm really hesitant to cut up the console in my car.

Is there any way to install an aftermarket DIN-sized stereo without using that block-off plate? I'm not worried about looks, I'm more worried about how to make the radio lock into place. In other words, I don't want to hit a speed bump and have my stereo fly out onto my shifter.

Does anyone have any ideas? :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, I dont know exactally what years have the pocket below te radio, but get the stock pocket. Use some backstrap and ( strips of meatel with holes in it,) and bolts to secure the back mounting points of the pocket to the two bolts coming up from the transmission hump. This creates a perfect (And secure.) DIN sized hole in the dash. ( For an aftermarket sterio.) I have this setup currently in my '93 GT and have had since "00. ( If U need pics, lemme know.):nice: