87 mustang gt help feel's like its floating? front end

davidohio

May 12, 2009
its all orginal 87 gt front end feel like its floting? it dont shake it does got bald tires on the front feel like sway bars or something it its not like a really tight front end ?? tie rods? iam lost here it dont really shake just feels a lil flooty sorry for the bad spelling

• Sponsors (?)

Have you crawled under there and tried wiggling on the tie rods to see if they feel loose? Put the front end up on jackstands and given either of the wheels a wiggle up and down or side to side to check for slop?

I'm betting it's outer tie rod ends and/or lower ball joints. Swapping out the lower ball joints on my '84 made a HUGE difference, although I still intend to replace the tie rods soon, as well, to get it tightened up completely. Worst-case scenario is that your rack n' pinion is getting worn out, but I'd start with the easier, cheaper items first.

Doesn't....not don't.

Could be the bald tires. When they get low, the tires can follow imperfections and grooves in the road more causing the front to be light. I remember on my 03GT when the fronts got pretty low the front end would dance around on the highway. I'd have to hold the wheel tight.

I'd do as suggested above and put the front on jackstands and start wiggling things. Check the A-arm bushings, the balljoints, the tie rod ends, the sway bar endlinks (make sure they are attached and not snapped off) and other obvious defects. Also, with the car down, give each fender a push down and see if there is any significant bouncing indicating the struts are blown. Check for leaking or just looking like a POS strut.