87 Notch (project Divorce) Build Thread

MrFoxNutCase

Formerly: redcandy2011gt
Sep 24, 2009
Meh... stuck in bed with nasty back pain so might as well put together a build thread on here. lol
Anyway bought this 87 notch last fall, was looking for a clean(ish) one for a year almost, after owning a "new to me" GT Coyote, I was missing the crappy fox platform (funny how that goes, you "think" you want 400+hp, you think you want the faster auto, you think you want a tune, cai and axle back, you think you want leather, heated seats, AC, great sound system etc...) meh... I'm a grungy fox guy at heart. I'd get a new Mustang as a daily/winter beater though, once I'm sick of the F150

So I picked up this heap
img_2962-1024x768.jpg

After a serious cleanup, removing 10+ years of dust, grime and bird poop (not sure how it was stored but good god, was it bad)
img_2959-1024x768.jpg

Started to gut the living F out of this thing... engine bay had some rail rust... ughhh but it was easy to fix, looks factory - so shhhh don't tell anyone.
progress.jpg

With a little bit of sanding and painting, the engine bay is factory spec once again... removing that yellow rust proofing stuff was a nightmare. The 5 lug is half done in this pic too:
20160220_175727_resized-1024x576.jpg

Started to clean the underside, it was a huge PITA on jack stands and I'm redoing this right now since I installed a hoist in the garage, much easier to sand it down, prep for paint by fixing more damn rust...
20160228_094320_resized.jpg

The interior was gutted and I put in a custom black one, which is gutted once again. I sold that interior and I'm finding the parts (seats are getting upholstered right now) to make a factory'ish super mint smoke grey interior.
0-int1-20160528_091424_resized-1024x576.jpg

how it sits now... lol
dash-restored-fox-mustang-restoration-1024x576.jpg

The engine bay is nothing fancy, I customized the Typhoon intake and put back the stock airbox...
20160817_155109_resized-1024x576.jpg

This is how it sits right now (well, before I took it apart that is):
20160801_161603_resized.jpg

Right now the car is up in the air, fuel lines removed, half the rust repair is done, and getting ready to pull the engine/trans to further detail the living F out of this... I've been keeping a blog about this car and now another notch I picked up... A blue 89, all factory original survivor car. http://stevesnotch.gspotmotorsports.com/category/black87notch/

Reactions: 7 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Working on an undercarriage on jack stands wasn't too hard for me until i rolled on the POR 15 and it made me look like a cheetah.

Engine bay looks nice man. Nice work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Started v2.0 of the underside... The only rust I need to fix is along the seam on the rear pan... It's not pretty
rust-1-1024x372.jpg

So I cut about an inch off, welded on some new sheet metal, grinded it down and applied some zinc primer for now, I need to fill in some imperfections to make it super smooth, then again it's still not bad. I think I can make this as good or better than factory back in 1987 lol
rusty-fix1-1024x520.jpg

The passenger side isn't as bad, I already dropped the brake and fuel lines to restore those, restore the brackets and such. Not very sexy or fun job that only a select few would even care to see lol

wow long time no update

Changed things up a little in the back... I went with Sportline springs instead of pro-kit (on all 4's for now) and adjustable LCA's and FRPP UCA's
maximum-motorsports-lower-arms-adj.jpg

Underside is pretty much done, polished shaft an all lol
underside-almost-done-fox-notch-1024x689.jpg

Interior is coming together, got my seats back from the upholstery shop
interior-restoration-smoke-grey-4-1024x576.jpg

She's getting some brake upgrades too, moving up from 03 PBR calipers up front.
cobra-calipers.jpg

I got a lot of crap on the project's blog: http://stevesnotch.gspotmotorsports.com/

Cheers!

Reactions: 4 users
wow long time no update

Changed things up a little in the back... I went with Sportline springs instead of pro-kit (on all 4's for now) and adjustable LCA's and FRPP UCA's
maximum-motorsports-lower-arms-adj.jpg

Underside is pretty much done, polished shaft an all lol
underside-almost-done-fox-notch-1024x689.jpg

Interior is coming together, got my seats back from the upholstery shop
interior-restoration-smoke-grey-4-1024x576.jpg

She's getting some brake upgrades too, moving up from 03 PBR calipers up front.
cobra-calipers.jpg

I got a lot of crap on the project's blog: http://stevesnotch.gspotmotorsports.com/

Cheers!
That underbelly is dang sexy. If you can't see your face in your shaft, you need to keep polishing.:jester:

BTW, what's that line going across your sfc? It might get squished there

Last edited:
That underbelly is dang sexy. If you can't see your face in your shaft, you need to keep polishing.:jester:

BTW, what's that line going across your sfc? It might get squished there
Oh that's a brake line I was replacing, it's all in factory position now. all good :D

Yeah I need to polish my shaft some more.