88 5.0 Ho Convertible Rough Idle Stall Backfire Issue

forgot to add this question also

is a thermostat required on these motors or will it run with out it ?

also is there a supposed to be a gasket between the high rise and the intake or is this a machined fit ? i sprayed some intake cleaner where it meets but it didnt change idle so i guess its sealed but you would figure a gasket goes there

YES you need a thermostat. The stock FOMOCO 192 temp stat is the one you want. Test it before install. The spring side faces the firewall and the pointed side faces the radiator. Make sure it rests in the groove or you will break the housing.

YES there is supposed to be a gasket in between the upper and lower intake. You will have a huge vacuum leak without it. You cannot see it unless you pull the upper intake.​

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

what im asking is will it over heat with out one
and there was no gasket between the high rise and the intake i pulled it because it was either pull that or the motor
im 6'3" and my hands are 5" wide atleast was no way to get under the manifold to replace vacum lines
both sides where very shiny machined looking
ive seen isuzu's from factory have machined exhaust manifolds with no gaskets
and im unfamiliar with ford products in general
so i just put it back the same way
i did check it with some intake cleaner no leaks

what im asking is will it over heat with out one
and there was no gasket between the high rise and the intake i pulled it because it was either pull that or the motor
im 6'3" and my hands are 5" wide atleast was no way to get under the manifold to replace vacum lines
both sides where very shiny machined looking
ive seen isuzu's from factory have machined exhaust manifolds with no gaskets
and im unfamiliar with ford products in general
so i just put it back the same way
i did check it with some intake cleaner no leaks

Not to come across like an azz, but asked and answered. Will your car overheat without a stat? Maybe, maybe not. But why would you run it without one? Ford engineered the motor to run with a stat. If you do not run one, the car will most likely run like crap. It is there for a purpose and again the FOMOCO 192 is what you want for most applications.

There is supposed to be a gasket in between the upper and lower.

you may not have a leak at idle but wait until that motor gets hot and things change shape. the gasket is less than $10 go get one.

Not to come across like an azz, but asked and answered. Will your car overheat without a stat? Maybe, maybe not. But why would you run it without one? Ford engineered the motor to run with a stat. If you do not run one, the car will most likely run like crap. It is there for a purpose and again the FOMOCO 192 is what you want for most applications.

There is supposed to be a gasket in between the upper and lower.
its ok i dont get butt hurt too easy :)

i was trying to figure out if it was me pulling the thermostat or that the car was finally running correctly that was making run warm
it acts like its vapor locking
fixed the flooding issue
now it is to lean after it heats up

its the cats for sure
why is there 4 cats on these motors ?
makes no sense but what ever
had a massive exhaust leak at the header and pipe union fixed it heats up even faster now
so leads me to believe the cats are running to much back pressure
koeo still map out of range
hadnt tried the running test have no one until this after noon to hold the clutch
will run them but there is little left at this point to change and the rotten burning smell/burnt hay/fermented black eyed peas smell coming from the exhuast now is kinda a give away
figure the cats are stopped up and need a good beating
my state is visual inspection any way on antiques

lol moment i checked the oil and my trusty neighborhood walmart wrench turner filled my oil about 1 1/2" to far up the dipstick
thats what i get for being lazy
The dipstick, just like the factory gauges isn't accurate.

Here's a simple fix.

Change the oil, fill the new filter a full as you can get it without spilling a bunch of it when you screw the filter back on. Add the partially empty oil bottle to the crankcase plus 3 more quarts. Check for leaks and loose things like the two drain plugs. Start the car, check for leaks again : this mixes the oil in the filter with the rest of the oil, giving you a full 4 quarts in the pan when it settles. Shut the car off and go have a soda or some other cool refreshment: that will give all the oil the chance to drain back into the oil pan. Come back remove the dipstick and use a round file to make a pair of marks to indicate the 4 quart oil level. Add the 5th quart and repeat the file marking process. The round file reduces the chance of any cracks developing in the dipstick. Some cars have a 1/16" or smaller hole drilled in the dipstick instead of a file mark on the dipstick. This requires a drill press and a high speed 135 degree cobalt drill bit. Small drill bits break easily and the dipstick is very hard spring steel. Be sure to wipe all the metal filings off the dipstick before putting it back in the oil pan.

dipstick-markings-85-gif.gif