88 Bronco II Problems... Help???

Adam95GT

Aug 14, 2006
Burlington, NJ
Alright well ive been working on my g/f's brothers 88 bronco 2 for about a week... and cant get it running right so im turning to you for help.... he got gas one night and the car wouldnt start back up... i figured fuel pump because it would crank and crank and not start.... so i replaced the intank one and strainer.... no help then i found a loose connection to the battery and the relays... i fixed that but it would start and die not hold an idle or anything and id hear a grinding whine sound..... found the sound and it was the rail mounted high preasure pump... i i next replaced that... now the car idles and runs fine untill you go past half throttle then it back fires and sounds like crap and dies out.... anyone have any clue.... also i found a huge rubber house in the gas tank... that went kinda in the fill line to deep inside the tank... it was just sitting there not connected to anything... i just thought it maybe made sure the fuel was getting to the pump.... any help would be great.... this kid hasnt had a car for a month now and i really would like to be able to help him out....
thanks,
adam

• Sponsors (?)

Adam -
For whatever it's worth... I have the Ranger/Bronco II book for 1983 to 1990 if you need to borrow it or want me to look up some stuff.

I had something similar happen to my 1990 ranger while in college. Long story short: it sat for one night and then I went to start it and then it wouldn't idle properly, would just die. It would run fine (and charmingly-so) with a little gas, but would stall at idle. Turned out to be IAC as diagnosed and replaced by the local Ford dealer.

At this point, if you are just playing/poking/replacing with diagnostic dice or a dartboard, it may be time to just bite the bullet and send 'er to a dealer or someone who really knows the problem.

Good luck, either PM me or post here... I'll watch the post.

thanks for the help guys... i was leading to the IAC or a TPS sensor.... they were my next shot... lol yea idles like a charm revs fine if i go slow but as soon as i give it a good amount of gass it hezitates and dies out...

Did you try to turn the dizzy by hand? Is it loose?

If you have a timing light, see if the timing is off or if timing is advancing as you rev it up (to make sure the computer is controlling ignition advance).

Good luck Adam. It's nice of you to help the guy out. :nice: