88 fox project build ideas

96_Stang-a-roo

Founding Member
Sep 2, 2002
88 fox project build ideas - With Pics

Hey, this is my first time posting in the 5.0 section. I Just traded my 96 for a 88 lx fox rolling chassis... very race ready down to the skinnies and stickies. Only thing missing is motor/tranny. Complete otherwise down to A-1000 setup and cage. just trying to get some build ideas/opinions/ect. I'm leaning towards a 351 block (W or C i dunno) with a big turbo and a nice stroker kit (carb only, btw). It had a c4 but i've always been a straight drive kinda guy. We're talking big numbers here, though. So lay it on me... be as brief or in depth as you like... down to what kinda rings or cam profile you would use or as general as what size motor you think. Thanks in advance for the replies...

maybe i should change my name now to 88_Stang-a-roo...:D

• Sponsors (?)

Here are some pics of it...

437768081_l.jpg

437768914_l.jpg

My suggestion, call Rick.

I would do a stroked 351 based off a Dart block. Then, pick your power adder. Build a nice C4 and take it to the track!!

That car looks awesome. Good luck with the build.

thanks for the replies! What's the difference between a Dart block and other 351 blocks? Does the Dart have a 4 bolt? What kind of heads/cam combo's would ya'll think for a power adder such as this? Also, how would ya'll go about doing the rotating assembly? I've seen alot of stroker kits on ebay for good prices (hence the reason i went pushrod)... what kind of internals would ya'll do for 600-1100hp range (big range i know... nothing less than 600 and nothing more than 1100... perfect would be 900ish rwhp). What about stroker 460's? Alot of questions, i know... keep the suggestions coming!

first thing id do is change the taillights....ewww. i hate those type tail lights...sorry...i had to put that in there. Then i'd build a stroked 351 using a dart block. Cant go wrong, plenty of room to grow in to a stroked 351, very capable engine if built right. Should make some SERIOUS power with a turbo or pro-charger and some nitrous. Thats a mean looking notch, very nice

you want a STRONG foundation! i would go with a dart block and make it a stroked 351 and get a nice size turbo.. thing would make a **** load of power and would last a long time and you wouldnt have to worry about it going boom down the track

Slicks are 28-10.50 What about sleaving a 2 bolt main for longevity? Those friggen dart blocks are expensive as hell! Looking them up on just ebay the plain blocks are 2k+. For this build I'd like to have a motor/tranny combo for 5k+/- I can get the turbo done for less than 1k... we've got a pipe bender and have already priced the build. I was thinking about a remote setup... maybe not... cost's about the same when you factor in intercoolers vs. lots of piping. what do ya'll think? This build won't start until summer... we're finishing up a 66 cuda build.

I wouldn't try working with the 2 bolt block. While the 351 is stronger than the 302, you still run the risk of the crank walking. A friend of mine just split his Sportsman making almost 700 at the crank. At that power level, you need the 4 bolt. If you want to cut costs a little, try the R-block 302.

so ok... no question that i'm getting a dart 351 block now with the biggest low compression stroker i can now... how about heads/cam combo? Remember, we're thinking turbo w/ lots... i mean as much boost as humanly possible.

and i should follow that with... still drivable to local cruise in's to... uh... make some trouble. Not something that only goes towed to the track and back. Something I can tag. Is 1k hp too much here? If so i'll just go 460 stroker N/A and keep it streetable. I want a stroker dart 351 with a turbo that can manage nice dry kind days at the local street scene... while being legalish.

no n20... i've had my fill of n20. It's either turbo or n/a. And I havn't seen a 460 stroker from 351. I've seen 460 blocks but not 351 kit's to bring 'em up that far. Altough, i'd like that. Are ya'll keeping in mind a hella bore when you talk those numbers? Anyway... it's definately gonna be carb... now it's def gonna be dart 4 bolt 351 block stroked to 406 or 427... depends on what kinda compression and internal combo's I can find. Only question now is... power adder, top end combo's and tranny combo's. I would prefer to stay with manual but with that much power it might be unreasonable. I dunno.