88 grand marquis rearend n a mustang?

tiptop

Apr 6, 2008
hey, i can get a grand marquis rearend for next to nothing and was wondering if it will fit in a 85 mustang gt. if so is it a direct bolt in? if not, why does it not fit, also he said there was a mustang rearend in there, but i highly doubght it, but is there away to tell if it is a mustang rearend in it? is all fords and mercury 8.8 inch rearends the same no matter the make and year is? also is the rearend cover on all 8.8s the same? thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

The 8.8" refers to the center unit (the differential), itself, not the axle assembly as a whole.

Axle width on a Panther car (Crown Vic, Grand Monkey, Town Car) is significantly wider than that of a Fox. Same differential, same number of splines, but quite a bit wider, and the mounts are different, plus no provisions for quad shocks. Sorry, it's anything but a direct bolt-in - not even sure it could be made to work, at all.

I wouldn't mess with it, honestly, unless you just want the stock ring gear for the sake of better gas mileage - the most I think they ever came with was 3.55's or 3.27's, usually just 3.08's or 2.73's. To my knowledge, NO Panther cars came with limited-slip differentials, so you'd be getting a one-wheel peel setup almost certainly.

Look for a T-Bird Turbo Coupe rear end, instead - 3.73's and rear disc brakes. :nice: