88 gt, finding good spark. with high torque mini start

AnthonyR23

Sep 8, 2006
Ontario
I was going through the cranks but won't start checklist and on one of the first steps is to check that I am getting a bright blue spark:

1.) Remove push on connector (small red/blue wire) from starter solenoid and turn ignition switch to the Run position. Place car in neutral or Park and set the parking brake. Remove the coil wire from distributor & and hold it 3/8” away from the engine block. Jumper the screw to the big bolt on the starter solenoid that has the battery wire connected to it. You should get a nice fat blue spark.
Most of the items are electrical in nature, so a test light, or even better, a voltmeter, is helpful to be sure they have power to them.

I have a high torgue mini starter and I believe I had to switch the wiring on the solenoid for the new starter.. so not sure how to check for the nice fat blue spark. I tried re the above directions and the just cranked when I jumpered the screw to the positive.. So don't really want to mess around till I know what I'm doing.. but could anyone give me advice how to check that I am getting a good spark.. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If im reading this right, u just want to make sure that ur getting nice hot spark from ur ignition system correct. welll if thats right. it should not matter what kind of starter u have, u just need to take the coil wire off the distributor and the best way i believe to do it is, put a screw driver in the end of the wire as if it was a being plugged back on the distributor and hold it about a half inch from the engine or anything metal bolted to the engine and you should see a good hot spark as ur bumping the motor over, thats what ur doing with the solenoid, but if u want to make it easy, u have someone get in the car and just bump it over for you, and u dont have to mess with the solenoid or starter or anything.

That method is so you can be under the hood and watch the spark while you crank the engine over. As noted, the procedure is the same no matter which of the two starter wiring methods you have used. You still jump the battery lug to the little threaded terminal on the solenoid.

If you can set up your spark tester so you can see it from inside the car (or you have a helper), you can omit that part and just have someone crank the engine over with the key while you watch the spark quality.

An alternate method is to use an old spark plug. Using a spark plug (ground the threads to the intake) removes the variability of the spark-jump distance changing as you crank it over. You can also use a spark tester (cheap at most parts stores).