88 mark VII 5.0 same as 88 stang 5.0?

89white50

Nov 16, 2004
central MA
I know they are almost identical, but i was wondering what the differences are, if any? I am looking at a complete motor, it has 112k for the low price of 150 bucks. Intake to oil pan and comes with the injectors and wiring harness. I am only going to be using the bare block for my buildup, but i was wondering because the rest of the parts i dont need i plan on cleaning and selling?

• Sponsors (?)

If it is a LSC it will say H.O. is this correct and if it is not the LSC it is not a H.O. Can someone please verify this because I took the intake off of a non-LSC and it did not say HO under the upper intake cover plate and when looking in the junk yard and the LSC car did say H.O. under the Plate. I took the LSC engine and figured the none H.O. intake engine was like the Thunderbird 5.0 and not like the Mustang.

Pretty simple-
Coming from an Ex-lincoln guy, 87-92 LSC's are indeed 5.0L H.O. roller motors (225HP 300lb-TQ). they have speed density set-ups though, not mass air. Never was mass air, Although can be set up as one.
You must be careful, because Mark Vii bill blass models are not the H.O. motor. Easy way to tell-Digital dash cars always came with non-H.O.'s. Analog gauges were H.O.'s. They have the non H.O. set up. As the CONTI's and Town cars are all non h.O. versions of the 5L. Lincoln's LSC's were billed as the gentlemans mustang in the 80's 90's. And always look under the intake plaque for the inscription H.O. on the plenum.
Also know- the injectors are 19lb'ers, the intake tube is smaller and isnt the mustang intake tube, and the bracketry for the accessories are different as well. The smog crap and everything else is identical to the stang, except the pullies ar4e larger on the lincoln too!

hope this helps to clarify!
Anthony

Just to let everybody know, if you're going to strip the motor and just use the block and/or crank, there's no need to avoid the 87-up non-HO's. Same roller cam block, same crank. The only difference in the HO and non-HO is the cam, computer, and spark plug wires on the distributor. Get a Crown Vic motor cheap. Of course you can't do that if you need other parts too that are 'Mustang style'

A quick way to tell if it is an H.O without removing the intake plaque. Follow the plug wire from the #1 cyl (1st clyl on pass side) wire to the distributer, look at the next terminal to the left. If that wire goes to the passenger side (#3 cyl), its a H.O. If it goes to the drivers side (#5 cyl) ,it is a non H.O.

This applies a long as some bonehead never did a tune up with the wrong firing order!:scratch: