88 Mustang Gt Whine

Joshua Deleon

Apr 13, 2015
you guys normally probBly see this thread alot. Well I checked all over Google and couldn't find not 1 thread that had this problem. Well I have a 88 mustang gt. Smog delete. I put a new belt on it changed cap and rotor and plugs. Basically full tune up. Out of no where one day with the car idling. It has this squel that is annoying as hell. It's not the belt tensioner because I replaced that already. It's coming from the passenger rear. And when I go under the car in that area that's when it's the loudest. It's only when the car is warmed up. And if I give it throttle it goes away. It's not the throw out bearing because when I press in the clutch it Dosent go away. It's so annoying. Someone for the love of jesus help me with this problem.

• Sponsors (?)

This is in the Mustang II Forum, so you probably won't get much advice here. :)

It could be many things - bad belt, another accessory, water pump, idler pulley, air pump (or delete pulley), power steering, a/c compressor, pilot bearing, internal engine problems, etc. I usually recommend a mechanic's stethoscope (or a piece of heater hose held to the ear) to help you pinpoint the location. Cars have a way of throwing sounds around that can be unpredictable. Also removing the belt and manually spinning each accessory can help you find the one that's noisy or loose.