88 Mustang Sputter Problem

Craftystang

Jul 26, 2016
Hey guys I'm new to this site. I have gt40 heads and intakes. Comp cam .512 lift 114 lobe sep ration. Double comp cam springs 986-16. Stock 1.6 rockers. Smog delete and egr delete. New 255 walbro fuel pump. New fuel filter. New distributer and coil. Changed injectors still stock 19#. Maf from 94 3.8l mustang and a9l ecm. Also changed fpr. But I'm having a problem when I first Drive car in first gear all the power is there all the way to 5500 rpm then when I slow down and try to drive it sputters at me. Until I drive like a grandma for 2 mins then it's got power again for a quick jump through first gear. Any suggestions

• Sponsors (?)

@Noobz347 should probably be in the tech section.

@Craftystang, check under the tech section @jrichker has a lot of info on troubleshooting there and how to pull codes if you do not know how.

First some simple things/questions that will help us

Do you have any codes or CEL present? Have you checked the plugs and plug wires? How's the idle, are all the vacuum lines been checked?

I initial thought is the MAF might not be communicating correctly, but pull the codes first. Also what is the part number for MAF sensor you have on the car atm, and do you have the old one to stick back on to try?

I'm kinda new and don't know how to get to test have section sorry about that. I checked codes and I get code 31 and 95. Have new plugs in it. I can post pictures after. Also this problem came up before I did maf conversion. I did the conversion to fix this problem. Has different wires. I checked all vacuum lines and there all brand new. Idle is OK it has a little miss to is
20160726_122055.jpg

I'm kinda new and don't know how to get to test have section sorry about that. I checked codes and I get code 31 and 95. Have new plugs in it. I can post pictures after. Also this problem came up before I did maf conversion. I did the conversion to fix this problem. Has different wires. I checked all vacuum lines and there all brand new. Idle is OK it has a little miss to is
20160726_122055.jpg

Did this problem occur after the fuel pump install because 95 is for the Fuel pump circuit. Also did you use the housing from the MAF or just the sensor (I know you said it had a problem before, but not seeing the flange). If I'm not mistaken that is a Lincoln MAF.

It had a flange I cut it off just to use the tube. And from what I've read the code 95 is because some maf conversions didn't have the wire from the ecm to the fuel pump relay witch don't matter. I replaced the fuel pump relay Cuz it went bad already

It still gains rpm just slower and sputtery and backfiring through exhaust. Timing is at 12degrees

There are a lot of variables here with all the changes you made. Dumb question, has this been the same tank of fuel? Also, when you verified timing with spout out, have you reverifed the timing? Reason being I have had a dizzy walk on me before because the bolt felt tight and wasn't? Easy way is just grab and try to see if turns.

Additionally, pop the cap off the dizzy and see if there is any arching on the contacts.

One other thing is MAF sensor being used, have you inspected the sensor (pulled it out of the housing and cleaned with maf cleaner (not brake cleaner). Just trying to eliminate everything that could be contributing to the problem.

No I tried 91 octane as week. And the contacts were scraped off a while ago and they look like they got some arcing again. I cleaned maf with maf sensor cleaner. Also I should mention the car ran a bit better set at 15degrees for some reason no ping. I've double checked timing marks and there correct to TDC. I even tried pulling spout setting it at 30 degrees and it was worse yet