89 302 Grand Marquis Block

Will this work for my budget build? Is it the same block? I have one and I need to know if I should take it to the scrap yard or to the machine shop. Oil pan is also in real good condition and want to use it on my build to will this work. Thx

• Sponsors (?)

Thank you for the info. Ive been out side all day scrapping this grand marquis and I should have the motor out cleaned and broke down by mid tomorrow. Need to get a engine stand soon and take to the machine shop as soon as that good ole stimulus check comes.

Block will work, pistons are flat tops with no valve reliefs. All non EFI 5.0's are roller cammed but different pistons and no mass air, speed density cars. Its 225HP vs. 160HP. The heads are not E7's, I believe E6's......

Later Ant

Correction: All non-H.O. motors from '86-up are roller-cammed. Not all non-EFI motors were roller motors - pretty much everything from '85 back (excluding the 210-horse H.O. motor) used flat tappets. Just clarifying.

The Panther cars (Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car) did use E6 heads with flat-topped pistons, as well as a lame cam with a different firing order, a more restrictive upper intake, smaller TB and EGR spacer, and lower-output (14#, I think) injectors. All 302 Panther cars from '86 to '90 were speed density; in '91, the Town Car went with the early 4.6L, while the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis got one more year with the 302.

Ya my dad got this heep for free and all thats left from him taking the aluminum and metal to the scrap yard is the firewall frame and short block. The only parts I wanted to use were the block, oil pan and timing cover the rest of the car is out of here. Its just to bad some of the other stuff is not interchangeable. I posted parting out on cl and our forums but no replies. My plan is to start building a cheap stroker motor with explorer heads and intake. The motor in my mustang is a strong runner with 175 for a compression test all the way across but i'm thinking ahead due to 150k on my motor.

Ya my dad got this heep for free and all thats left from him taking the aluminum and metal to the scrap yard is the firewall frame and short block. The only parts I wanted to use were the block, oil pan and timing cover the rest of the car is out of here. Its just to bad some of the other stuff is not interchangeable. I posted parting out on cl and our forums but no replies. My plan is to start building a cheap stroker motor with explorer heads and intake. The motor in my mustang is a strong runner with 175 for a compression test all the way across but i'm thinking ahead due to 150k on my motor.

150k is not bad. I just turned 165. I once had a 88' Ranger that I put a Crown Vic motor in. A buddy of mine put new heads and cam on his 92' Vert' GT and I swapped
the Vic motor E6 heads and standard firing order cam out for the H.O stuff and it ran for years (all EFI) untill I sold it.

I just plan on having a stroker motor on hand for when it starts to go plus it give sme something to do since I have no life lol. Maybe ill just put the explorer combo on the motor thats in it and get something a little better for the stroker motor. It would work out well when I put a new one in so I can do all the other things id like to do like the engine bay and painting the hole car and replacing hood, front bumper, rad. suprort.... It would all fall into place real well.