89-94-95 Mustang?

dtstang

Mar 3, 2008
:shrug: Question: I will be graduating college soon and a deal/bet that i made with my father will be finished. I graduate with a bachelors and he's buys a mustang as a present. We made this deal when i dropped out 2 years ago. Not getting a brand new mustang but a max of $5,000 towards a v8 mustang.
I'm thinking about getting either an 89, 94, or 95 Mustang. I believe all of them have some version of the 5.0. Which one would you suggest getting? The plan is to get it into the 12's that is street legal. Not looking for s straight drag car but something to have that looks good and will keep up with the SyTy's that i run around with. Most of the Syty's run 11's and 12's.:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

if it is going to be a daily I would suggest the 94/95. they are the same car and have vastly improved suspension and interior. they are also slightly heavier, but to me the trade is worth it in comfort.
the fox cars are lighter and have more of that stripped down muscle car feel. they are a blast to drive, but aging electronics and mechanical parts make them temperamental unless you are a competent mechanic. with the budget you have in mind I would go with the sn95 or possible newer mustangs. 99+ GT's can be had for just a tad more than the figure you posted and wont offer the gremlins that are associated with older cars.

lol i expected that response. no body knows these suv's and smaller trucks unless you already own it or saw one at the track. Sy=Syclone Ty=Typhoon they are GMC's that were made in the late 80's they are an awd with 4.3 turbo, they run 13"s stock. go to streetfire.net and type in SyTy. you will see. Honestly think they are the most interesting and potentially quick ass thing to take to the track. this is my buddies:

Jeffs typhoon moved

Driven one 89 5.0 but it was heavily modded and only drove it around the block. Thats why i'm asking, don't know much about those years. Most of my time is spent on grand nationals, regals, 2001 model gt and obviously Syty's. And it will only be a summer driver that will probably be driven most weekends. so no, not a daily driver.

Did hear about the 94-95 have better suspension but that was from a gm guy who has only messed with gm's so i didn't put too much truth to it.

Now here is the other part of my dilema. Not to sure, but i will probably end up putting a turbo on whatever car i get. Now which one would you suggest with a single turbo possibly making 8-12 lbs of boost.

I'm expecting to spend a full summer building this car right, which is why i'm expecting to put another $5,000 into the car to get it set up right.

lol i expected that response. no body knows these suv's and smaller trucks unless you already own it or saw one at the track. Sy=Syclone Ty=Typhoon they are GMC's that were made in the late 80's they are an awd with 4.3 turbo, they run 13"s stock. go to streetfire.net and type in SyTy. you will see. Honestly think they are the most interesting and potentially quick ass thing to take to the track. this is my buddies:

Jeffs typhoon moved

Driven one 89 5.0 but it was heavily modded and only drove it around the block. Thats why i'm asking, don't know much about those years. Most of my time is spent on grand nationals, regals, 2001 model gt and obviously Syty's. And it will only be a summer driver that will probably be driven most weekends. so no, not a daily driver.

OOOhh, i know what both are, i just never heard of them referred to as SyTy. In that case you just need to get yourself a light little Fox coupe and throw a turbo on it and show them what's up :nice:

I know what they are but have never heard them called that. I think they are cool but would rather have a grand national.
fox all the way. for a summer weekend toy a 5.0 coupe with a single turbo will show a turbo buick or syclone it's tail lights.

I have heard of them SUV's and seen them just never heard them called that before :rolleyes: . the fox version of the 5.0 and maf system years take to mods nicely even better than the 94-95's, if you like the raw muscle car feel with all the rattles and engine heat making it's way in then the beloved 79-93 is the way to go, if you like a more smooth feel with some comfort(not saying some 79-93 aren't that way but general terms here) and features then 94-95, either way 2 very nice platforms, but me fox all the way.

have fun :nice: .

OOOhh, i know what both are, i just never heard of them referred to as SyTy. In that case you just need to get yourself a light little Fox coupe and throw a turbo on it and show them what's up

Sorry but most of the time when people ask what the hell a SyTy is they have no clue.

Sounds like most people are suggesting the sn94.
My plan plan is to rebuild and strengthen the motor, wont need to go extreme with the parts for hp because the turbo will take care of that, just looking for strong parts to hold the boost.

I do just fine on the track, and never street race. Ohio cops are every where and i have bad luck with them.

Oh yeah, Thanks for all the info.

Sorry but most of the time when people ask what the hell a SyTy is they have no clue.

My plan plan is to rebuild and strengthen the motor, wont need to go extreme with the parts for hp because the turbo will take care of that, just looking for strong parts to hold the boost.

I do just fine on the track, and never street race. Ohio cops are every where and i have bad luck with them.

Dude where in Ohio?? There's a few Ohio guys on here.

Also check out this site for a 10 second junkyard DIY twin turbo build up...for about $3k including building the engine. http://www.toohighpsi.com/BudgetTT/BudgetTT.htm

We had a guy on our local Mustang forum take an Explorer short block, put some Twisted Wedge heads on it and a single turbo and make 535hp at the wheels and run 10.25 with it.

a fox will dominate the 94/5's on the track. an explorer motor can be had for less than a 1k and will give you almost 100hp over a stock 5.0 add a blower to that and the benefits of the higher performance heads/intake @ 10psi you could see nearly twice the numbers that a stock H.O will deliver with the same turbo set up. dont shoot yourself in the foot. buy a roller and plan a decent build.

stykthyn said:
a fox will dominate the 94/5's on the track.

Identical mods would be a driver's race, especially if they're tuned. A properly tuned SN gives up no advantage to the more mod friendly Fox. The Fox's weight advantage isn't that much. Stock vs. stock would go to a Fox though.

I've owned both and I definitely prefer the comforts of the SN95 model. Tighter chassis, less squeaks and rattles, 5 lug, better brakes (4 wheel disc since 94). I still like the Foxes and will own another eventually, but it would never replace my 95.

Just be sure to go drive a couple of each. They are different enough that one should grab you a lot more than the other. This isnt something you can figure out without driving each.

Good luck.

a fox car would be a few hundred pounds lighter, so getting it go faster with less power is easier. itll also launch better and be easier on the drive line.

but sn95's look so darn good.

ohio? where abouts you at?

I live in cincinnati, ohio. Not sure if you are aware of colerain or cheviot area.
That capri looks good, i will have to keep my eye out for him at the tracks.

What is the difference between the sn95 5.0 and the explorer edition of the 5.0. Does the intake flow better or is the difference in the heads? Not sure about the explorer motor. its sounds like i would be spending extra money on a motor when i already have a comparable motor. Whats the argument for this. :shrug:

I'm planning on replacing most of the internals of the motor anyways. any 5.0 i get is going to be old and need some upgrades. Don't like buying motors that people have already worked on or fixed up. never really know what they did, messed up, or what genius thing they did. Especially with a lot of people trying to port their own heads now.

Forgot to mention this, some of you may not like this idea but i will be putting the gm L92 heads on the 5.0. Know that these heads flow good and i just happen to have a set on my basement floor already proffesionally ported to fit a 5.0. Only problem is i don't know what year of 5.0 the L92's were ported to fit. Is there any difference in the port size of the 5.0 stock heads?

I know i'm asking a lot of questions, but the best way to learn the new ideas is asking people that know what they are doing.

Thanks for all the help.

By the Way NOVA, i like the avatar.:nice:

The explorer has gt-40 heads which flow a lot better and the explorer intake which is also superior to the fox intake. In addition the explorer tb is 65mm while fox is 55mm as i recal. The downfal to the explorer motor is the cam which needs to be swapped from a torque cam to a horsepower/ race cam. The explorer motor is very cheap if u can find a used junk one. Only about 600$ or so and that gets you the heads intake and tb.

My vote is for a notchback also.