89 Convertible 460460

BRPerformance

Jul 17, 2016
I have had this 89 5.0 convertible for 5 years now. It was my daily driver for sometime will I was having to drive longer distance to work and back. It has never felt fast to me and after some research, I came to the conclusion that an old 385 series would be an engine that can make good power and wouldnt be of the norm around my area.

I sourced a block running 460 out of an old f250. The guy threw in some arp rod bolts and Probe pistons. I threw the engine back together after installing the arp rob bolts and pistons (did slight machine work). Then I came across some dove-c heads for a $200. I had them cleaned up, new rocker studs, new valves, sprints and retainers. I also for a Doug Herbert solid roller camshaft.

After putting it all together, my project that just started off as wanting to build alittle more power turned into a race fuel drinking engine... oops. Haha.

I'm thinking of running E85 (I still need a carb, fuel pump, etc...) or just going for a lower compression piston down the road. The car is going to be a weekend warrior with some cruise time. I plan on running between a 175-200hp nitrous system.

The engine change over was very simple. The factory double hump trans cross member worked perfect, no modifictions needed, 80's truck pan worked perfect, hooker headers needed a little massaging, but not much. The swap engine mounts were used. It will drop right in as an engine/trans unit. I just put the headers in before dropping the combo in.

I'm going to be retaining the power steering, or atleast trying. I do have a flaming river manuel rack on stand by though. Also, I'm going to be using manuel brakes do to the cam size. I want a consistant brake feel.

I put a Ford 9 in with disk brakes on it. Load leveling lower control arms with factory springs and shocks for the time being. I had a driveshaft made for in last week. I also have the 5 lug conversion for the front.

I think that's all for now, any questions, comments or suggestions, feel free to write them down.

Attachments

• 2016-07-17 15.40.47.jpg
    2016-07-17 15.40.47.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 109
  • 20160717_115838.jpg
    20160717_115838.jpg
    473.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 20160717_115820.jpg
    20160717_115820.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 20160605_180729.jpg
    20160605_180729.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 20160605_180749.jpg
    20160605_180749.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Sponsors (?)

Well that looks like it will be a fun car!

If you want to go nuts, AFR offers a really nice set of heads for for bb's.

Keep the thread updated with pictures. This should be fun to see running.

Well that looks like it will be a fun car!

If you want to go nuts, AFR offers a really nice set of heads for for bb's.

Keep the thread updated with pictures. This should be fun to see running.
I was looking at the AFR heads. I would like to get a pair as soon as I get the car up and going. I still have a decent amount of small things to do like; fuel system, carb, brakes, wiring, cooling system, etc...

I'm looking for right around 680-700hp range on the bottle. I don't think this setup will get me there, but I'm going to give it hell. Haha

Power brakes are hard to live without when you have that much iron and HP to stop.

If you are going to keep the power steering, consider a hydro boost setup using the master cylinder, power steering pump and plumbing from a 96-98 cobra.

Reactions: 1 user
Power brakes are hard to live without when you have that much iron and HP to stop.

If you are going to keep the power steering, consider a hydro boost setup using the master cylinder, power steering pump and plumbing from a 96-98 cobra.
If I can keep power brakes i will. I was looking at the hydro boost system from the cobras, but could not find any information about doing the swap over. Do you have a link or someone you could recommend me to talk with?

What are the front and rear brake caliper sizes. The Hydroboost setups are pretty much all 1 1/8" bore master cylinders, so need ot make sure the caliper piston sizes puts the MC in a usable range for them. The hydroboost works by taking it's assist off the power steering pump. How do actually do this, I'm not sure on, but it can be done. My first question is will this give you an effective brake setup when complete. For that, need more info.

Pretty much anyone doing a 4.6L or coyote swap needs to do the hydroboost conversion. It's really just a matter of pumbing it into the power steering pump

What are the front and rear brake caliper sizes. The Hydroboost setups are pretty much all 1 1/8" bore master cylinders, so need ot make sure the caliper piston sizes puts the MC in a usable range for them. The hydroboost works by taking it's assist off the power steering pump. How do actually do this, I'm not sure on, but it can be done. My first question is will this give you an effective brake setup when complete. For that, need more info.

Pretty much anyone doing a 4.6L or coyote swap needs to do the hydroboost conversion. It's really just a matter of pumbing it into the power steering pump
The front brakes were going to be the LMR 5 lug conversion stock style 5.0 brakes. The rear brakes are off of a ford truck that had rear disc. The rear calipers barely clear the 15" wheels that I am using for rolling it around on. I'm going to be coming up with a different front and rear caliper and rotor setup later down the road. I still haven't seen anyone have a hydroboost setup on a BBF in a foxbody.

Looks like the hydratech brake company has a hydroboost system that looks like it would give a lot of clearance. I do have a bigger bored mastercylinder and pedal designed for manuel brakes.

Put the headers on today and found a spot that needs clearancing on the fire wall and a brake like that will be in need of moving. It doesn't touch it, but it's very close. I'm going to be putting line lock on the brake system, so I have to reroute lines anyways.

Attachments

• 20160718_114450.jpg
    20160718_114450.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 20160718_114503.jpg
    20160718_114503.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 20160718_114434.jpg
    20160718_114434.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 103
The hydroboost is done a lot with F150 guys running 460's. I've seen a few setups and if you search "hydroboost with 460" you might find some more info. Hydratech is also an option that a lot of truck guys go with. Biggest challenge is just the power steering pump that's compatible and hooking up the lines.

The hydroboost is done a lot with F150 guys running 460's. I've seen a few setups and if you search "hydroboost with 460" you might find some more info. Hydratech is also an option that a lot of truck guys go with. Biggest challenge is just the power steering pump that's compatible and hooking up the lines.
I've found the trucks with 460's running them, but not one with a 460 in a foxbody running hydroboost.