89 Gt 5.0

griff1419

May 13, 2015
I just purchased an 89 GT 5.0 convertible. I have found most of the answers on these forums, but I can't find one answer. My drivers door shuts and latches but there is still a little bit of play in and out. There is no sagging it just doesn't seem to close completely. Any help would be appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

I looked and there is no bushing on the latch striker. It is just metal so I assume that is the problem. Does anyone know if there is a bolt on the back of the torques screw? I read a review on LMR that someone said his nut fell and it was tough to retrieve it.

The only other issue I am having is the steering wheel shakes at around 20 mph lightly then around 60ish it shakes more. The front tires are cupped a little so I am getting new tires and a 4 wheel alignment to see it that fixes the problems. If not I am going to replace the rotors. Any other ideas? It also shakes when I brake.

Autozone sells replacement strikers. Just unscrew the old one and replace.

I'd start with new tires and alignment. That might eliminate the shaking while driving. As for shaking on braking, that is usually disk rotor runout (also called warping) and you'll need to replace your rotors and pads to eliminate that.

Ok I did not know that. So there is no benefit to a 4 wheel vs 2 wheel alignment.

Not necessarily. They may not adjust anything out back, but doesn't mean they don't take into consideration the thrust angle.

2 wheel they just straighten the front wheels and that's it. With 4-wheel they really do more of a thrust alignment on rwd cars and align front wheels to the rear wheels direction of thrust.

Keep in mind these cars are 20-30 years old. Who knows where that rear end points these days.

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I replaced all four tires and got a front end alignment. Seemed to fix the problem. I am going to replace the rotors and pads this week since it still shakes when I brake. Thank you all for you help!