89 GT only shifts into 4th

BodyByAAS

Jun 3, 2010
Just got this foxbody- it just wont go into gear - Only 4th, and itll drive out - although I dont recommend it nor did I try. The Previous owner told me that when the issue arose he put a new Tranny in it, and it had the same problem, or similar - his english wasn't perfect and my Spanish is even worse. Im not sure what the issue is with it, and I can take it to a tranny shop
but Im sure they are just going to want to swap the tranny - What are the odds its just the "shift fork"(I think thats what its called)? Anyway I can tell if the gears arent in sync or if its another issue before I take it to a mechanic and get had? I read it could also be the clutch cable

Other then ripping the tranny out and inspecting is there any sounds, feelings, signs or whatever that is not the gearbox - I mean, granted he could have gotten a ****ty tranny from the Junkyard, Im thinking its got to be something other then the actual Transmission.

• Sponsors (?)

Even if it was the cable or clutch, with the engine off you should be able to put it into other gears. If it wont go or acts like nothing is there its prolly the trans.

Even if it was the cable or clutch, with the engine off you should be able to put it into other gears. If it wont go or acts like nothing is there its prolly the trans.

Im pretty ignorant with driving stick - So it should be able to make the movement of going into gears - should I have the clutch depressed when doing this?

I was thinking if the Shift fork was bent, it wouldnt go into any of the gears - maybe just forth cause of the coincidental placement and the way it could be bent, etc...

Any other thoughts?

Check the Fork... if not bent then you're Forked. Have the tranny rebuilt or replaced.

and yes... engine off, clutch in. You should be able to get into all lthe gears.

Something else you may to check:

Remove the shifter and check for the plastic piece at the bottom of the shift lever. There's a chance that the thing is completely mangled and jamming up the shifter. I've not seen one cause the extreme problems you describe though.

Check the Fork... if not bent then you're Forked. Have the tranny rebuilt or replaced.

and yes... engine off, clutch in. You should be able to get into all lthe gears.

Something else you may to check:

Remove the shifter and check for the plastic piece at the bottom of the shift lever. There's a chance that the thing is completely mangled and jamming up the shifter. I've not seen one cause the extreme problems you describe though.

I heard about the plastic piece causing problems - Ill check that tonight - How can I check the fork?

If you only have 4th then you have a completely blown up trans. The reason 4th works and no other gears work is because when in fourth, it locks the input shaft in with the output shaft. That means its a straight shot with no gear reduction from the cluster gear. Most likely you cluster gear is broken as well as all the teeth on your input shaft. Time to find another trans. I highly doubt a bent shift fork or a broken shifter bushing is causing your problems.

I've blown up my share of t-5s and when you break the teeth off of the input shaft you lose all gears except 4th.
Your input shaft is going to look worse than this!
DSCN0531.jpg

If you only have 4th then you have a completely blown up trans. The reason 4th works and no other gears work is because when in fourth, it locks the input shaft in with the output shaft. That means its a straight shot with no gear reduction from the cluster gear. Most likely you cluster gear is broken as well as all the teeth on your input shaft. Time to find another trans. I highly doubt a bent shift fork or a broken shifter bushing is causing your problems.

I've blown up my share of t-5s and when you break the teeth off of the input shaft you lose all gears except 4th.
Your input shaft is going to look worse than this!

Thanks for this - much appreciated - However, why would he have the same problem with BOTH trannys? I doubt he blew 2 up back to back - he said (*and yeah, this is just what he said - who knows the truth) but apparently the tranny replacement didnt change anything

If you drive it in 4th and it sounds like someone dumped a box of gravle in the trans then its busted.

Were it me... I'd pull it, dump it in the trash, and get a new one from summit. I'd also order a Tri-Axe or MGW shifter for it.

If you've ever wondered what the hell all these crazy folks are about that talk about missing a shift (inadvertantly going into 1st when they're shooting for 3rd) then you'll find out when the new tranny is installed.

I recall my original tranny (very well worn in) never having missed shift problem but the new one.... well... it wasn't pretty till new shifter arrived.

Screw the rebuild unless you can do it yourself. It wouldn't suprise me in the least if that $495 ended up snowballing into the same cost as a new tranny.

Were it me... I'd pull it, dump it in the trash, and get a new one from summit. I'd also order a Tri-Axe or MGW shifter for it.

If you've ever wondered what the hell all these crazy folks are about that talk about missing a shift (inadvertantly going into 1st when they're shooting for 3rd) then you'll find out when the new tranny is installed.

I recall my original tranny (very well worn in) never having missed shift problem but the new one.... well... it wasn't pretty till new shifter arrived.

Screw the rebuild unless you can do it yourself. It wouldn't suprise me in the least if that $495 ended up snowballing into the same cost as a new tranny.

Thanks alot - I wonder if it could be the shifter... it has this stupid smith and wesson gun handle thing -just the knob I mean, more like a handle.

Im going to sit and fuss around with it while I wait for AAA to come and tow it. Ill update via Mobile with anything I find - if it rattles, jingles, goes or just doesnt budge - If anyone else can give me more signs to look for it would be much appreciated.