89 LX 5.0 Headlight questions.

91zr1

Apr 24, 2003
Helena,alabama
One of the headlight bulbs went out and I replaced it with a new bulb. The
next day the bulb is out again. Any recommendations on what could be the
problem? Or could I just have bought a bad bulb?
And next. The headlight covers are very cloudy, is there anyway to remove
the covers and clean them, or will I have to buy new headlight assemblies?
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I'm assuming it was just another bad bulb. I would take your other light out and try it in there first that way you don't blow another new bulb.

As for the headlights. It isn't cloudy in the inside. It is on the outside. Do get them looking you new again is a kind of long process. You will need to wet sand them like you would a car and buff them back to new again. After you are done you would need to re-clearcoat them. Depends on if it is worth the time to save the money if you want to do it or not.

For the foggy headlights I would just replace them. I tried polishing with just about every cleaner I would find but it never looked as good as when I just replaced them. I got them on ebay for $40 a piece.

If a second one went bad, it's not likely just a bad bulb. My problem was moisture leaking into the headlight capsule. I blew several bulbs before I attacked it. I drilled a drain hole into the bottom of the capsule (off the car), blew loads of high pressure air through it to dry out, left it out in the (hot) sun for a while, and ultimately sealed the capsule back up with black RTV gasket goo around the sealing surface of the lens, and the hole I drilled. Haven't blown a bulb since, but the lenses are so cloudy that replacement capsules are in the near future anyway.