89 Lx Auto With 4:10 Gear Ok For Daily Drive ?

Killa

Jul 9, 2007
My 89 LX came with 4:10 gear, install by preview owner. My plan was daily drive / travel 600 miles ( visit friends ) once in a while , will 4:10 be too much ? or should I go back to stock gear ?

any one know those high way patrol, what gear they run on there crown vic ?

• Sponsors (?)

is our fox body have same gear ratio at the 99+ mustang gt ? my buddy with 2003 mustang gt automatic before 4:10 put in, rpm was 1900-2000 at 70mph, after 4:10 it was 2200-23000 which is not bad.

I have 2.73 with AOD and I have 1,800 RPM At 75 mph (WV has 70 mph speed limits on interstate :D)

At 65ish I get 1,500 RPM. I can only imagine what running 2,300 RPM will do to your engine after 600 miles :O_o:

Even with an engine that can do multiple burnouts without a radiator

It won't be too bad... The AOD has what a .65 or so overdrive? I can't remember off the top of my head but my guess is you'll be around 2400 or so RPM at 65? I have 3.73's so don't sweat it.

http://www.ringpinion.com/Calculators/Calc_RPM.aspx

your auto too ? I havent drive the car yet, I will test it out when it here, if rpm too high, I might go back to stock gear or which ever gear that for high way friendly.

what is stock gear ratio for 89 lx 5.0 automatic ? 3.08 ?

Fox body auto's could be had with 2.73's, 3.08's, or 3.27's, depending on how they were optioned.

If it's truly mostly a highway cruiser, I'd drop a set of 2.73 or 3.08's back in it and call it a day. The 4.10's are going to cost you 5-6mpg....no two ways about it. That adds up after a few 600-mile round trips. Gearing it back down to a more highway friendly gear means it's not going to be a stop-light terror, but it'll keep you happier at fuel stops and will make for better highway passing. Add a set of underdrive pulleys a good high flow mid pipe and give it a few degree's of timing and you'll knock out mid-20's with it all day long.

If it hasn't got one already, I'd also recommend a decent valve body kit to firm up the shifts and a good plate style external transmission cooler to help extend transmission life.

Fox body auto's could be had with 2.73's, 3.08's, or 3.27's, depending on how they were optioned.

If it's truly mostly a highway cruiser, I'd drop a set of 2.73 or 3.08's back in it and call it a day. The 4.10's are going to cost you 5-6mpg....no two ways about it. That adds up after a few 600-mile round trips. Gearing it back down to a more highway friendly gear means it's not going to be a stop-light terror, but it'll keep you happier at fuel stops and will make for better highway passing. Add a set of underdrive pulleys a good high flow mid pipe and give it a few degree's of timing and you'll knock out mid-20's with it all day long.

If it hasn't got one already, I'd also recommend a decent valve body kit to firm up the shifts and a good plate style external transmission cooler to help extend transmission life.

hmm if im just daily drive, 99% in town driving 40-45mph maximum speed all time, I should be ok with 4:10 in it right ? but I will have to see how bad its when I get the car next week. I bought the car out state and wait for the transportation company to pick it up and delivery next week.

btw what brand is good transmission cooler , I heard bad thing about fin type though.

Back when my car was an AOD, i had 3.73's. Personally I think even that was a bit too high. Great for 0-60MPH drag racing, but how often did I do that?? On the highway, maintaining 80MPH felt like i was revving the crap out of the engine. You lose all ability to go WOT over 100MPH due to OD not engaging at WOT. 3rd gear ended right around 100 and i remember when drag racing I would have to hold 3rd gear at redline and cross through the traps because there was no ability to shift to Overdrive.

Hated it. Personally I would not go beyond a 3.55 in a AOD car...and even that's pushing it.

Then i swapped to a 5-spd....still hate the 3.73's. One of these days i'll slap some 3.27's in.

I actually learn this rule of thumb from this site, back when im active 07-08 , that for automatic 4:10, for manual 3:73 , idk how peoples do now, but back then if you follow that, you can go wrong.

whats the consensus for making power forced induction? I am starting to wonder if you want a 2.72 or 3.08 to keep you in the gear longer making power. especially if you are turbo to give them more time in boost. right now ive got around 3.00 (just spinning the input shaft and counting how many times until the wheel makes a full rev) not sure if I want to change them out or not. I plan on getting a blower on it ASAP.

I virtually dd mine with 4.10s and a t5 and it had 0 problem, even gets 18 mpg back and forth to work every day (20 miles each way). Used to (and will again) do it with the stock aod too

I actually learn this rule of thumb from this site, back when im active 07-08 , that for automatic 4:10, for manual 3:73 , idk how peoples do now, but back then if you follow that, you can go wrong.

That's the consensus amongst the crowd that like to drive with their foot in the oil pan all the time. For those that simply like to "cruise", those gear sets are about 2-ratio's too high. I'm another one toying with the idea of backing down my rear gear ratio now. I'm currently running 3.73's with my 5-speed 331 powered Coupe and an considering dropping down to a 3.31 rear end ratio to make it more street/highway friendly. We just hit $1.40/L here at the pumps....gonna take every advantage I can get.

whats the consensus for making power forced induction? I am starting to wonder if you want a 2.72 or 3.08 to keep you in the gear longer making power. especially if you are turbo to give them more time in boost.

It's not so much keeping you "in boost" any longer as it it about loading the engine harder. The harder you can load the engine with a turbo car, the more violent the power comes on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Everyone likes something different. Wait to get the dang car, drive it and then decide if it's the gear choice for you!! I love my 5spd w/ 3.73 gears although I rarely drive on the freeway and when I do I don't drive faster than 60-65 anyway. I'm in no hurry.

Also, lets please take the time to spell better. It's hard to read and understand your posts.

That's the consensus amongst the crowd that like to drive with their foot in the oil pan all the time. For those that simply like to "cruise", those gear sets are about 2-ratio's too high. I'm another one toying with the idea of backing down my rear gear ratio now. I'm currently running 3.73's with my 5-speed 331 powered Coupe and an considering dropping down to a 3.31 rear end ratio to make it more street/
That's the consensus amongst the crowd that like to drive with their foot in the oil pan all the time. For those that simply like to "cruise", those gear sets are about 2-ratio's too high. I'm another one toying with the idea of backing down my rear gear ratio now. I'm currently running 3.73's with my 5-speed 331 powered Coupe and an considering dropping down to a 3.31 rear end ratio to make it more street/highway friendly. We just hit $1.40/L here at the pumps....gonna take every advantage I can get.

It's not so much keeping you "in boost" any longer as it it about loading the engine harder. The harder you can load the engine with a turbo car, the more violent the power comes on.

friendly. We just hit $1.40/L here at the pumps....gonna take every advantage I can get.

Makes sense. How about for supercharged cars?