89 LX - speedometer conversion from 85 to 150

vladasap

Apr 26, 2006
nyc, ny
how n how much will it run me to do a conversion of the gauge since the 89 LX speedometer ends at 85mph but i want it to read the usual 150 like my 94 GT or 140 like the 93 stangs .... and the rpm gauge doesnt work so i would need to re-do that as well
ps-i just got the car so im 100% lost so please take that into consideration when posting back .... thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

vladasap said:
how n how much will it run me to do a conversion of the gauge since the 89 LX speedometer ends at 85mph but i want it to read the usual 150 like my 94 GT or 140 like the 93 stangs .... and the rpm gauge doesnt work so i would need to re-do that as well
ps-i just got the car so im 100% lost so please take that into consideration when posting back .... thanks guys
Its going to be a 140 speedo unless you order a 160 from brothers performance.. Look on ebay for a used guage cluster.

If the tach is bad, best bet is to look for a 87-89 cluster with a 140 speedo. The only drop in cluster that fits with no mods is the 89 model, or a 87-88 with the 140 speedo already installed. The correct clusters are FLAT across the bottom. The 90-93 are wired differently and have and ARCH cut out on the bottom. You can make the 90-93 speedo itself (only the speedo, not the cluster) fit in the older cluster, but you either have to get new gauge faces or cut and trim and drill and file the 140 face to make it fit the old cluster. The other 90-93 option is to rewire the plugs to match the newer cluster.

there are a few other threads on the subject in tech.