89 mustang 5.0 crazy headlight/dash gauge problem

89foxbodyHO

Mar 16, 2013
Hey guys new member here and i need some help. Its an 89 foxbody 5.0 ho and i have a problem with my high beams i cant figure out. When i turn my headlights to high beams my temp gauge goes allthe way up past the red mark, battery gauge drops all the way down, both of the turn signal lights on the dash come on and stay on, the tach stops working and all the lights behind the dash pn the right side turn off(from the speedometer over). Also with the high beams on the left side dash lights blink with the blinkers if i turn them on. none of the headlight wireing has been cut or spliced ive never seen anything like this. if anybody has some tips or idea they would be much appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Ok what ground would you be talking about? i just bought it this way the owner before me put in a set of one peice ebay headlights and said thats when it started but he said he didnt touch the wireing at all. I just put the oem set back in

Also i just came to realize without the key in the ignition if i turn the headlights on and turn them to high beam the fuel pump primes and the door buzzer dings just like if i turn the key to the on position. weird? is it possible the multi funtion switch is gone to crap causeing this?

Yeah if the dimmer is wired into your aftermarket radio that needs to be removed it happened in a 96 explorer it kept blowing his high beams and dash gauges because it was hooked up

yes it has an aftermarket radio and i think its wired into the dimmer. The reason why is the dimmer only dims the three knobs for heat. and when i turn the dome light on with the dimmer switch the radio shuts off so im thinking thats a dead giveaway. i unplugged the radio and still no difference but i havnt got around to unhooking it. if that was the cause wouldnt it change by me just pulling the plug from the back of the cd player?

no luck there, the cd player wired with a group of wires that had a white sticker on it that said ELECT TEST 1ST. there was maybe 12 or 15 wires cut and only 3 used. one for power one for battery and one for panel light then he ran his own speaker wires throught the car. So now the cd player is completely unhooked anyways just to make sure. Now like i said earlier with no key in the ignition if i turn the headlights on and switch them to high beam the fuel pump primes and door buzzer digs just as if i turn the key to on. That is not normal is it?

Just a FYI for you here. It could be a LOOSE or corroded ground to one of those items. If a ground circuit loses a place to ground, it will seek out a ground through another circuit and in the process power it up. Also check for blown fuses which can cause this problem.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the first place to check would be with a meter continuity to ground from the radio . If that is good then try the headlight switch. IF thats good move on to the headlight harness itself. This is deff gonna be a rough one.

How about disconnecting the dimmer switch and seeing what happens. That can make funky stuff happen too.