89 Vert Combo Advice

wrif2049

May 23, 2010
USA
So I'm looking for some descent power gains for my weekend cruiser an 89 gt vert that currently has 3.73 track lock, full length sub frame connectors, full length shorty header exhaust and a black magic e-fan.

I would like to do all the work myself as I love working on cars, is there anything you would change or suggest I add? I'm not looking for ultimate #'s but want to make a big diffidence in an otherwise already fun car, what would be a reasonable guess as to how much this combo will help wake her up?

What I'm thinking of adding:
AFR 165 heads with the air injection ports plugged (in case i ever move to a state that check smog)
Trick Flow Street Burner or Cobra/Gt40 Intake
Stock Cam (Never changed one before not sure if I'm up to it yet)
New Timing chain

What I'm still confused on:
Could I run AFR 185's without notching the pistons or should I stick with the 165's as I want to do the work myself ?
fuel injector upgrade (also will i need a FPR)
maf
throttle body
Ecu tune (can I run this with a stock tune for awhile until I can have the ecu tuned without damaging anything?)

As always you guys rock and thanks for the advise

• Sponsors (?)

I would run the Trick Flow Track Heat H/C/I package. It works quite well on the stock shortblock.

~70mm throttle body.
24# injectors
adjustable FPR
Anyway MAF, calibrated for 24#, of course.
ECU tune is not necessary. On a Fox you can mess with timing and fuel pressure to get a combo like this pretty close without a dyno tune.

You don't "have" to change the cam, but might as well while you are in there.

The trick flow kit is a pretty good setup.

As for an afr setup, i'm all for that too, but IMO if you are gonna spend money on afr heads, might as well go all out on the rest of the parts, custom cam, 70mm accufab TB and spacer, rpm II intake, 80mm pro M, etc...

Either way, no tune needed.

thanks for the advice, after thinking it over I will do some more reading on a cam swap too and in list some friends to help me with the work. Any tips or tricks for someone doing there first cam swap?

Are you doing all the work with the engine inside the car?
If so, you're gonna have to remove your fan, radiator, and condenser (if still equipped) just to be able to have enough room to pull the cam out.
When installing the new cam, lube is your best friend.

You should upgrade fuel pump size when changing to a larger injector. A 155 lph pump and 24 lb/hr injectors will suit your needs just fine.
My set up ran lean as hell with 24's and stock fuel pump. Upgraded the fuel pump and set fuel pressure, runs perfect now.