89 Vert Open Trunk From Inside? And Another Question

Is there a way to open a vert trunk from the inside? The glove buttons are missing and I do not have a key to the trunk.

Another question.

On the vert doors, the trim that has the outside dew wipes. Are those replaceable by themselves? If so from where can I get these parts new?

• Sponsors (?)

For all things weatherstripping for your vert go to LRS (latemodel restoration supply) they have a kit for everything you can think of.. they are replaceable by themselves, on the rear, i had to pull the trim for the top ( there are four nuts dont break the studs the trim piece is $120 ) you can put the top down to reach them, the dew wipes are riveted in on the rear. I have not done my front doors yet.

These are the weather strips (dew wipes) and these and these are the moldings.

Note: You might check with your local Ford dealer. The last time I bought these parts, the dealer was actually cheaper than 50Resto and they were readily available.

If your car had the interior trunk release to begin with (not sure on the 89's) and the wires are still there, I would think that, with the key "on", you could touch the wires together and actuate the trunk latch.

Reactions: 1 user
If you look at the underside of the trunk lid you will see a black plate with a rivot. Drill out the rivot and pull the black plate out. This black plate is what holds the locking cylinder in. After the plate is removed you can pull the locking cylinder out. Then use a flat head screwdriver to stick in the hole and turn the locking mechanism. This works on a hatch car, I know from experience, so I would think it would be the same for a coupe.
blog-techarticle-ldi6-05.jpg

Joe