90-93 Fox body into a 69 fast back

JESTER

My dog and I are pee pals.
Founding Member
Dec 11, 1998
Newnan, GA
Hey guys -
I've been out of the mustang loop for about a year now since I got rid of my 03 cobra, but as you guys probably know, Mustangs are a hard habbit to break.

Well, I have talked the new wife into me getting a 90-93 fox body 5.0 and then also a 69 fastback body to resto-mod.

What I want to know is if I do this - and later want to pull the drive train out of the Fox - what other parts (less the interior) can be used from the Fox. I'm hoping to find one with a 5 lug conversiona and would love to pull all these items off the Fox along with the rear end.

just want to be sure there won't be any problems before I find a Fox I like and buy it.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Well Ive got a 90 lx and a 70 fastback (same as 69)(generally speaking....) and they are very similar in size.

Potential issues that come to mind (not "problems", just things that you need to plan for...) are:
- fox is a control arm rear end instead of leafs: currie and Im sure others offer bolt in housings going either way.
- fox is front stear instead of rear steer front end: flaming river and others offer conversion kits etc... to help
- youll want to save ALL the wiring from the fox to make the computer happy. (imho its easier to go to an aftermarket injection: edelbrock, fast, accel dfi, holley, etc)
- there are several people / companies (some on e-bay) that offer kits to put late fox / sn95 brakes onto a early stang. You usually need the drum brake spindles, and 70 are better cuz they are supposed to be stronger.
- if you switch to a carb, youll need a low pressure fuel pump.
- if you stay injected, you'll need a high pressure one for the classic, cuz its low psi one wont work.
- D&D out of california and others offer a cable clutch conversion to use the late model trans in the classic, some complete with crossmembers etc...

Thats all that comes to mind right off the bat, but Im sure there are others Ive forgotten. Again, these arent that bad, its all been done a thousand times, and lotts of kits / knowledge is available. Should not be a problem as long as you plan accordingly.

(Im in the process of trying to mount 94+ cobra brakes on my 70. The spindles / steering are the current hurdle.)

Good luck.
DD
:flag: :nice:

Hey, thanks for the reply DD.
Would really like to know more about your 94+ brake conversion - your project sounds simular to what I am wanting to do.

Thanks again for what you've given so far

Chris

Pretty much the entire drivetrain will swap.

The rear axle tube/housing will require modification. The engine is a simple bolt-in. The tranny will need specialized brackets that are easy to find. Buy a new driveshaft or mod yours. I'd keep the vintage front suspsension arrangement though, the struts from the SN95 are not any better than a well tuned/tweaked classic arrangment. Keep the computer if you want/need EFI, but i just love the way a carb sounds and they are easier to tune/tweak. If you use the EFI I'd suggest that you buy a new harness rather than cut and splice yours, but I am terrified of electrical fires since I lost a car to one 20 years ago.

I'd go with modern brakes though!

Ok, belay my last..... (thats Navy for I screwed up)

The disc brake conversions I was thinking of on e-bay were for GRANADA discs onto an early mustang. Sorry, brain fart. (thinking one thing and typing something else...)
:bang:

But if your interested in conversions, not all granada, some chev, some willwood, etc... some of the ebay usernames are:
jernstef8vcd, hotrodsusa, gofastparts4u, wwmidwestmustangsnet, etc...

However what I said about my quest to put late brakes on my own car is true. I put the cobra brakes on my 90 and it made a WORLD of difference. Since I cant seem to find a simple conversion kit (sigh) I'll have to make one. I think I can make a hub to match the internal dimensions of a stock 70 disc, but the same external dimensions of a 94+ hub. That way you could bolt on 94+ stock gt discs, or Cobra discs (same hub :nice: ), or new "mach 1" discs, or bullit discs, etc...

I ordered the 94+hubs today, and the stock discs are on the front of my ride... so probably be a couple months to sort it all out.

(anybody know where to find an engineering drawing of a 1970 mustang brake disc) It would have the factory specs for angle and dimension, so that I dont have to guess about the wear / tolerance on my stock ones.

I dont think I will sell them, just cuz I dont feel like being screwed if some moron crashes his car, but at the very least I can make a set of drawings that any good machine shop should be able to work from.

Dave-
:nice: :flag: