90-93 Horn Button

ryangruhn

Oct 5, 2000
My left horn button on the steering wheel has become so sensitive that if you even run your finger over it the horn will go off. Any ideas of what could be causing this? Should I just try and replace the button and if so, how hard is it to replace?

(This happened when the car was stolen so I have no clue when and how it actually started happening)

• Sponsors (?)

The horn button uses a thin foam rubber pad the separate the switch contacts. Over time, heat and age will cause the foam to deteriorate. Take it apart and replace the foam with some from packing you may have laying around.

From the shop manual:

attachment.php

Attachments

• horn button 45%.GIF
    horn button 45%.GIF
    34.8 KB · Views: 272
I have a '90, thats the 87-89 style that was posted. My steering wheel has two small horn buttons on each side of the wheel.

On a side note, I popped it out and it looks like it's connected to two cords (+/-). The button that is broken is far looser than the one that feels okay.

Its easy just pry it out with a small flat tip

+1

My car didnt even have "buttons" on the horn buttons when I got it. You can pry out the horn button then you can snap off the part with the picture of the horn; then you can take a look of whats in there.

If you need to replace the WHOLE horn button assembly then you have to remove the airbag to get to the horn button connector. You might just want to replace button part before you do the whole thing.

IIRC there are 4 little "hooks" at the 4 corners of the button, so pry carefully so you dont break them. Under the button youll find a spring... this is probably your problem. Replace the spring with a new one from a hardware store or something.