Fox '90 Gt Convertible Top Issues

I have a '90 GT convertible and the top does not go up or down...

You can hear the relays click when you hit the switch for up and down... One relay clicks when you try to lower it; the other relay clicks when you try to raise it... So, they are getting power and are functioning properly, as is the switch...

I have swapped out the top motor, swapped the relays all around and have had the exact same results...

Oddly enough, at the same time the top stopped working, the cruise control stopped as well... I have heard that the two have something to do with one another and that this can be a common thing.

What the heck?! What does the cruise control have to do with the top functioning??

I have purchased the cruise control module, but am hesitant to replace it until I ask my friends here on stangnet.com.....

• Sponsors (?)

As I remember it the electrics for the top are pretty straightforward.

At the up/down switch there should be two independent input power sources. One goes to the up/down switch itself, coming from the fuse panel: Fuse #6 I think. The other one comes from the starter relay and goes through a 25A circuit breaker also in the up/down switch but not actually activated by the switch. Make sure these both have power.

Lines out from the circuit breaker and up/down switch then go to the relays. One relay is for up and one is for down. You should have power from the circuit breaker to the inputs to both relays. You will only have power from the up/down switch to the relay when the switch is pressed appropriately.

There are 2 outputs from the relays. One is to ground. Nothing really to test there except to ensure it's not floating. The other outputs go to the top motor pump, and you should get power to each appropriate motor input with the up/down switch in the appropriate position.

If you don't get power to the motor input then it's either the relay (but you said you replaced yours), or the up/down switch. But if you checked the input side of the relays then that should identify if the up/down switch is working.

If all of the above checks out, and your motor gets power and works, and then your top still doesn't move, then it's your hydraulics. The motor is just a hydraulic pump and if it's low/empty of fluid, or the lines are kinked or blocked then the top will not go up or down. There's a fill plug on the right side of the motor.

So, there's only 3 stages to it, and you can work from front to back to ensure there's power going "to" each stage, and then "from" each stage as is appropriate. Hopefully this helps some.

Reactions: 1 user