$900 to install gears?

Jagerbeast

Mar 7, 2010
Virginia
I should be getting my 4.10's in today and i've been checking to see how much its going to cost to get these suckers put in. It's harder than i thought it would be finding a place that actually instals gears, but so far the only place i've found gave me a quote of $914.58 to get these suckers into my car and "rebuild" the differential. Thats IF i supply the gear oil and every part needed. Was hoping someone on here from somewhere relatively close could reccomend me to a reliable place that could do some cheaper work, cause for some reason i doubt it should take 8-9 hours to do this which is what that quote looks like they are saying.

• Sponsors (?)

I paid 175 for labor. Thats just stupid.

Take it to someone who knows how to install Ford gears. Rebuilding the differential is stupid easy and takes very little time. The gear install should be straight forward by someone who knows how to do it. I had a pro do mine in ~ 1.5 hours. The cost was a hair over $200, but he did supply the bearings and threw in an extra clutch pack in my diff.

$900? :rlaugh:

Thats crazy High. I paid $250 for mine but knew a guy who knew a guy. Average around here for a shop to do it is about $400-$500, and thats is on the steep side.

Look elsewhere.

What part of VA are you in?

Northern, i live in Woodbridge, and work in Springfield.

i was shocked that places like Merchants and NTB wouldnt do this type of work, waiting on a couple independent people to get back at me with a quote. AM.com was sayin it generally costs like $300 to get gears installed, when that place came back with 900+ i almost crapped my pants

Northern, i live in Woodbridge, and work in Springfield.

i was shocked that places like Merchants and NTB wouldnt do this type of work, waiting on a couple independent people to get back at me with a quote. AM.com was sayin it generally costs like $300 to get gears installed, when that place came back with 900+ i almost crapped my pants

I was on the other side of VA when I got mine done. I paid around $300 for mine to be installed.

when that place came back with 900+ i almost crapped my pants

they probly just didnt wanna do the job, so gave you a rediculous price and if you took that they justified doing it by making a ton of money on it, alot of people dont mess with anything past changing the fluid when they are working on rear ends

I paid $300 for mine but its an IRS car which is WAY harder then a live axle. One place quoted me $1000 and I lughed in the guys face and told him to fock off.

man o man, i paid 300 for mine as most did here. the difference with mine is, is it wasnt done rite. they screamed, and howled like a banshy. the guy wouldnt honor his workmanship. so i bought and install kit, read the write up here on the site, i had all the tools being im some what of a mechanic, (i build engines, auto trannys, etc) but i never tackled the rearend before. i started about 8am and was done @ 12pm. took my time doubl and triple checked everything. now 4yrs and about 40k miles later theyre are still awesome. no problems what so ever. the problem was they didnt use a new crush sleeve nor pinion nut like i paid for origianly. after i did it i was pissed, 1 because i lost 300 bucks, and 2 i payed for something i could do myself. since then ive done probably a dozen and half gear installs on friends cars including my both of my bosses toyota 4x4s front and rear. but to sum it up 300 should be the max even if they rebuild it. the 8.8s are the simplest to set up, ive gotten down to about 2rs for them. it took a day for each of the toyota trucks of my boss.

Theres no way in hell i was going to pay over 5-600 to get these installed. Emailed someone at Excessive Motorsports and they quoted me 400 which is the best i've gotten so far, will try to take the car in on Friday. Thanks a bunch for the heads up on these people Rasikajay

Take it to excessive motorsports, they will give you a good deal

Excessive Motorsport Performance Center

I'm in NC. I paid $500 for the 3.73 and the install/rebuild with oil, etc. by someone I consider to be a 4.6L pro (Andy Wood -Crossroads Performance now in Gastonia, NC), no noise, no problems.

ive heard of them, and i heard there awesome with the mustangs. i had boosted performance of mooresville, nc do mine. while i beleive they can install turbos and S/Cs i think the shop flunky he put on my gear install cut corners and i paid for it. but its tarnished my respect for there work. ill not take anything i own back to them because of it. As far as everyone else, its up to you if you live in the area to take your stuff to em. i dont talk trash about others but...you get the idea. especially when a gear swap is so simple.