91 5.0 Power Steering Pump Leak

fredfifty

Nov 23, 2011
SF Bay Area
Hey guys,

So, i just installed a remand rack and pinion and a PS pump off a salvaged fox. I used the old lines because they still look to be in usable condition. I also put fresh teflon seals on the pressure fittings at the pinion and at the pump housing...seems i still have a small drip leak at the large nut on the pump housing...i tightened it pretty good, but im thinking its not completely tightened...i wanted to know how tight is tight? because i dont want to ruin the threads being that its aluminum...should i keep tightening til i cant no more?

Heres a pic of the smaller nut that threads into the larger nut attached to the housing. Are the teflon seals supposed to be showing a tiny bit?
7cdb9d1f.jpg

and also, how does this PS pump pulley look? should i replace it?
5.0 power steering pump pulley - YouTube

Attachments

• 7cdb9d1f.jpg
    7cdb9d1f.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm 99% sure if you pull the fitting back, there is a rubber O-ring in the fittings also. This is probably the source of your leak/drip. Where did you find your Teflon seals? I found mine at Napa but no one else had or carried them ... they just looked at me strangely. Ending up buying some extras at the time since I was not sure if I would find them in the future. Check for that O-ring under the fitting and replace it .....

Each hose uses an O ring on each end to seal them. The hoses will swivel when they are installed and tightened into place. That is why there are O rings on the fittings. The O ring is the part that actually makes the pressure seal. If you slide the nut all the way back as far as it will go, you will see the O ring and the groove cut into the center section of the fitting.
attachment.php

Sometimes you will get some white Teflon rings with the pump or rack. The rings go on the threaded part of the fitting to reduce or prevent small leaks. They are not meant to seal the pressure part of the line or substitute for the rubber O ring. Heat the white Teflon seals in hot water and they will be easier to install. You can install the fittings without them and not have any leaks if the O rings seal good.