91 Automatic GT slower than 5 speed?

tboshearz

Feb 2, 2004
Hi everyone, just got a quick question... btw im new here and have been planning on getting a 5.0 for quite some time (only recently got the funds for one).

I was wondering if the automatics are considerably slower than the 5 speeds. I have found a 1991 Hatchback GT for sale with 141k and it's an automatic... they are asking 3300... just wondering about the automatic vs. 5 speed comparison for speed on these cars...

if anyone can give me some insight to this, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Tyler

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, 5 speed's are faster than automatics. Thats if the automatic is a stock AOD. You can get better torque converters, shift kits, valve bodies...to make them work more efficient. But stock to stock the 5 speed is better, it has better gearing and less mechanical power loss. i.e. when the power is transfered from crankshaft to tranny to wheels...you loose about 15-20% with a 5 speed and 18-20+% of the power lost with an AOD. AOD=automatic overdrive. Someone will post on here with a more accurate power loss %'s. Good luck on finding a nice 5.0 :flag: Welcome to the world of mustangs! grab yer ankles :owned:

Yes they do... I went from an auto with a converter to a stick, and gained 4 tenths on a week behind the wheel (I had just learned). Then dropped another near second off that with not much more, a place not many autos have gone!

It can be swapped, and is a good starting place, but you cant beat a stick.

25thmustang said:
Yes they do... I went from an auto with a converter to a stick, and gained 4 tenths on a week behind the wheel (I had just learned). Then dropped another near second off that with not much more, a place not many autos have gone!

It can be swapped, and is a good starting place, but you cant beat a stick.

This is true, I have an AOD. Not that I don't like it that much, but I much of rather gotten the car with an 5 Speed. But hey, i got the car for free after my Uncle moved off to NY and didn't need a car anymore. Lucky Me eh... But the other day I raced a (obvious) 5 speed. I heard him power shifting. But with Gears (3:55) I hung with him just for a little...it wasn't that much of a loss for me. But He still beat me "bumper to bumper" I'm guessing he missed a good shift. But on the good side, you can always go with those upgrades out for AOD's. But look into spending a good amount of money. Good Luck in the Mustang world.

beaver2489 said:
Yes, 5 speed's are faster than automatics. Thats if the automatic is a stock AOD. You can get better torque converters, shift kits, valve bodies...to make them work more efficient. But stock to stock the 5 speed is better, it has better gearing and less mechanical power loss. i.e. when the power is transfered from crankshaft to tranny to wheels...you loose about 15-20% with a 5 speed and 18-20+% of the power lost with an AOD. AOD=automatic overdrive. Someone will post on here with a more accurate power loss %'s. Good luck on finding a nice 5.0 :flag: Welcome to the world of mustangs! grab yer ankles :owned:

I am running an Art Car Street Terminator AOD Transmission with a 3000 Stall convertor and shift kit. My car will beat a 5 speed with ease. With an automatic you are less likely to miss gears or shift at the wrong RPM.

I have a friend who also owns a 89 Mustang stick putting 380 to the rear wheels. We race each other quite a bit. It has become sort of a my car is faster than your car thing... Sometimes he wins sometimes I win. My AOD powered Mustang hangs with his 5 speed and we are never more than a few tenths off from each other. I have also raced other 5 speed mustangs and beat them and I have been beaten by 5 speed mustangs as well..

Anyone who tells you a AOD can not hang with a 5 speed is blowing smoke....

Stock Automatic Transmission: :notnice:
Built Automatic Transmission: :nice: :banana:

The difference is day and night. Ford builds one of the crappies auto's besides some of the Japanese makes. The only auto car I would buy if any would be a GM, they know how to build an auto, but anyone else, no way. A manual trans car is alot more fun to drive, unless then again you have a built auto with a manual valve body. An automatic is better for drag racing.