91 Lx To Gt Body Parts Swap

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
I am going to ignore my own advice and change what does not need fixed. I like the look and I have access to a 91 GT convert that is getting parted out. I want the bumper covers, driving light bar, and all lower side panels and the metal rear facia extension things. I hope to get the headlights and front header panel too, but not the GT tail lights. I already have the hatch spoiler.
1. What else do I need to make this work?? How do these side parts get held on? Are there old style clips, through bolts, double edge tape or Magic? I especially wonder about the pieces under the door.

2 If there are old style clips, are they riveted on or are they on studs like old stainless/aluminum trim? Do I need to take tools since the parts are supposed to be off the car?

• Sponsors (?)

I have the parts and see where studs screws and plastic trees were used. No biggie.

1. Now how about the right product for urethane bumper repair? Got a crack to fix and I am used to fiberglass repair.

2. What grit of paper should I prep the parts to when sanding off the old paint?

7991LXnSHO said:
I am going to ignore my own advice and change what does not need fixed. I like the look and I have access to a 91 GT convert that is getting parted out. I want the bumper covers, driving light bar, and all lower side panels and the metal rear facia extension things. I hope to get the headlights and front header panel too, but not the GT tail lights. I already have the hatch spoiler.
1. What else do I need to make this work?? How do these side parts get held on? Are there old style clips, through bolts, double edge tape or Magic? I especially wonder about the pieces under the door.

2 If there are old style clips, are they riveted on or are they on studs like old stainless/aluminum trim? Do I need to take tools since the parts are supposed to be off the car?
I tried that route of going with used gt ground effects an ended up throwing the side skirts away, I couldnt get them to lay straight they wer all wavy so I went with the cervini cobra body kit a little pricey but the final finish was much nicer.
Try 320 grit if that doesnt get you anywhere use a coarser grit. Depends if an how many times they wer repainted.

I have the parts and see where studs screws and plastic trees were used. No biggie.

1. Now how about the right product for urethane bumper repair? Got a crack to fix and I am used to fiberglass repair.

2. What grit of paper should I prep the parts to when sanding off the old paint?