91 Vert Fiberglass Trunk Help

dbrads91

Jul 11, 2015
I recently had a body shop paint/install a fiber glass trunk deck on my car. In hind site I realize the steel deck would have been a better choice, but it's to late now. The trunk deck doesn't sit flush with the rear quarter panels. Is there a way to adjust the spring tension, or something to get the deck to sit flush?

Attachments

• trunk1.jpg
    trunk1.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 163
  • trunk5.jpg
    trunk5.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 163
  • trunk7.jpg
    trunk7.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 139
  • Sponsors (?)

You live and learn dude. Fiberglass has the dubious reputation of either fitting, or not fitting, based on who provided the part, and who fitted it. With some pieces, there's only so much that can be done to correct for a poorly laid up piece.

You're right. Hindsight is 20/20. You shoulda went w/ a steel piece, The fiberglass piece is probably not designed to tolerate the tension that the stock steel torsion springs are subjecting it to. You'll probably have to eliminate those, and use a non-stock method of assisting the trunk when you open it.

Last edited:
Yeah live and learn. LOL It's not a problem though. You just need to adjust the latch pin "lower" so that it holds the trunk lid down firmly in place hard against the corner buttons when closed. You'll then just have to slam it or push it down hard when you close it but it'll work.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you this now but when using aftermarket and fiberglass body parts, always install and prefit the part before its painted. Then remove it and fix any problems. There are usually adjustments that need to be addressed before its painted.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Good Advice above from both. I would remove the tension rods as they are not needed with the fiberglass hood and fiddlle with the latch adjustment. I agree, the body shop never should have painted it before test fitting.

I have a factory fiberglass trunk on my 89 Vert ( yes factory ) when I changed my weather stripping it did the same thing...stuck up about 1/4 inch all the way around. I tried the latch adjustment...no change.... The tension rods were installed from the factory so I never removed them... The only thing that fixed it was different weather stripping. Take the weather stripping off the inside of your trunk and see if it sits flush. Worth a try. Too bad there are no real adjustments for the vert trunk lids. The last thing you want is to stress out those flimsy hinges.