Electrical 92' Gauge Cluster Not Reading Properly

JordanB21

Feb 6, 2012
Killeen, Texas
The gauges read in an off way, the temperature gauge started out at a mid to low point but as I drove it it picked up. All the while the needle was very shakey.
The MPHs or tachometer also was very shakey, it seemed to only be on 20 mph or 40 mph, I couldn't do a lot of testing because of limit of road length.
Basically I can't tell if my gauges are reading accurately or not because they're shakey.
The needles really seemed to bounce with the car though they picked up, they didn't hold in place really.

And lastly.

Today was my first time driving the car after a month and a half of it sitting! I sucked at getting passed 1st gear, but god shifting up between gears was soooo easy and so much fun, I felt like I pro when I got out of first. My left leg is trembling from the amount of force I have to apply on the clutch though (never went to look why it was so stiff), but hell. It was glorious. I need more road:D

Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

The gauges read in an off way, the temperature gauge started out at a mid to low point but as I drove it it picked up. All the while the needle was very shakey.
The MPHs or tachometer also was very shakey, it seemed to only be on 20 mph or 40 mph, I couldn't do a lot of testing because of limit of road length.
Basically I can't tell if my gauges are reading accurately or not because they're shakey.
The needles really seemed to bounce with the car though they picked up, they didn't hold in place really.

And lastly.

Today was my first time driving the car after a month and a half of it sitting! I sucked at getting passed 1st gear, but god shifting up between gears was soooo easy and so much fun, I felt like I pro when I got out of first. My left leg is trembling from the amount of force I have to apply on the clutch though (never went to look why it was so stiff), but hell. It was glorious. I need more road:D

Thanks guys.
You crack me up! Start off slow here. Speedo jumps while driving? = probably a dirty (needs greased speedo cable) or bad cable. In order to grease/clean it you need to unhook it under the dash and pull the inner cable out of the casing. Clean it with carb cleaner or brake cleaner and dry it well. Smear white lithium grease or a light bearing grease on it and slide it back into the case and re-attach under dash. You will probably have to remove the whole cluster to do this unless you are an acrobat, but it could probably be done without. If you remove the cluster, replace the bulbs and check/clean the circuit board connections. It may help the other issues. The temp gauge sounds like a bad gauge.

You crack me up! Start off slow here. Speedo jumps while driving? = probably a dirty (needs greased speedo cable) or bad cable. In order to grease/clean it you need to unhook it under the dash and pull the inner cable out of the casing. Clean it with carb cleaner or brake cleaner and dry it well. Smear white lithium grease or a light bearing grease on it and slide it back into the case and re-attach under dash. You will probably have to remove the whole cluster to do this unless you are an acrobat, but it could probably be done without. If you remove the cluster, replace the bulbs and check/clean the circuit board connections. It may help the other issues. The temp gauge sounds like a bad gauge.
I seem to be getting funnier with my lack of knowledge on the board these days:p

I'll pull the cluster, I have a bulb out anyways.
Do you mean the temperature sending unit or the actual gauge within the gauge cluster?

The gauge in the cluster. If the gauge is fluctuating thats one thing but if it is jumping fast, I've seen them look like a blur they vibrate almost, then the gauge is poop. From experience, check the bulb function BEFORE you put it all together.

To be clearer it'll pick a spot to settle into (the O) but'll go up and down near the O. making sure we're thinking the same, but sounds right:p
aha good tip.

After the cables greased and cleaned, wouldn't a new used gauge cluster be the easiest solution?:p

To be clearer it'll pick a spot to settle into (the O) but'll go up and down near the O. making sure we're thinking the same, but sounds right:p
aha good tip.

After the cables greased and cleaned, wouldn't a new used gauge cluster be the easiest solution?:p
The cars are old. You pay out money and get a different issue. You can replace just the effected gauge if need be. If it moves slowly back and forth near the "o" on the temp gauge it may well be fixed when you fix the radiator hose issue. If not a new thermostat may be next. If the cooling system has an air pocket or the hose issue that you are having, it could be the only problem you have. Fix it first. Like I said if it is the gauge, it looks like a blur. It looks like its on a spring. bzzzzzzzzzzzz