92 Gt W/351w Advice Needed

what fun would that be. like i said before i can try this route and if i cant figure it out i will go the electric route.
The ironic part of my previous statement is that just this past winter I ditched my electric pump for a mechanical pump lol It's not for the reasons that you would think though

• Sponsors (?)

ordered all my parts. wont be here until probably wednesday. i am thinking this will probably be the hardest part. after this it is just carb and intake which should be alot easier.

do all timing covers have aligment dowels or pins. i dont see any place where a sleeve would fit in the block but i do see where they could fit on the timing cover.

lastly, my timing marks lined up with the top gear marking at 6 o'clock and my bottom gear only lined up with the triangle at 12. i though it should have been the circle?

Little bit more research done. Apparently the triangle mark lining up means that the cam was install 4 degrees advance.

Think I should leave it or make it straight up zero. Small heads with the cam advanced like that makes me think this car is going to fall on its face in the upper Rpms

been researching my dizzy options and just keep getting more confused. advanced auto parts and autozone both have dizzys but they don't really say if they are a duraspark II version or not. same deal with the ignition module. if by chance i happen to figure it out i would still need to find the duraspark II wiring harness.

I might make a trip to the junkyward in the next week to see if i can find anything. i would like to test fit the dizzy with the timing cover off so i can make sure i have enough oil pump shaft play.

The car has a flat tappet cam correct? If so a stock distributor for an 85 f-150 with a carb 351 should be what you're looking for. Cardone p/n is 30-2895

Reactions: 1 user
Gear should be cast for use with a flat tappet cam, you can usually tell by the grain or casting lines.
Duraspark boxes are easy to wire even without the harness,

Get a blue tab box from an 85 Mustang GT 5 speed
-Red goes to keyed power (ie coil +)
-Green goes to coil -
-Orange, purple, and black go to the orange, purple and black on the distributor.
-Don't worry about the white wire, its for ignition retard during cranking which you probably won't need. I tried to use it a couple of times but it doesn't seem to work right, at least not with aftermarket duraspark modules.

You can also use an MSD or other Ignition box with the Duraspark distributor. Even a GM module if you so choose.

Wiring the Duraspark:
durasparkwire.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
good info v8stang, that seems super simply to wire up.

I ordered all of the ignition type stuff. dist, module, cap, rotor, and two pieces of the wiring harness that they had on advance autoparts. if I don't need them i will just return them to the store. I am still unsure of what type of material my dist gear is. can i just put this same dist gear on the new one when i get it?

Hard to tell for sure, but that looks like a steel gear. Check the teeth on the camshaft gear to make sure it isn't worn. A steel dist gear with a flat tappet cam will wear the cam, where a cast dist gear with a roller cam will wear the gear.

You should be good to use the gear that comes with the new distributor. It should come with a cast gear for use with a flat tappet cam.

I went on the compcams website and obviously nowadays you can never find a number to call anybody. but I was able to ask my question in there forum and get a reply back from a tech. he told me the material on the cam gear is cast iron. so hopefully my new dizzy comes with that and I will be one step closer

why are there so many different materials anyways. if everyone just makes dizzy gears and cam gears out of cast then there would never be any confusion. seems silly that there are so many options. plus the fact that if I needed a new gear it would cost probably as much as my distributor did.

why are there so many different materials anyways. if everyone just makes dizzy gears and cam gears out of cast then there would never be any confusion. seems silly that there are so many options. plus the fact that if I needed a new gear it would cost probably as much as my distributor did.
Well some cams are billet steel because the cam grinders can be much more aggressive with their lobe designs.

Take a cast cam and a billet core cam and roll both off of a work bench onto a concrete floor.... Let me know which one survives ;)

There are many different materials because there are many different conditions in which these parts need to operate under. :)

Reactions: 1 users
i got a bunch of parts in and i am starting to put some stuff together.

today's question is. when i am putting the dizzy in is it possible to but in in wrong or in such a way that the timing would be wayyyy off. only reason i ask is because it is a little tricky to get it seated. i need to turn the crank with a breaker bar and jiggle it down until it slides the last half an inch in. with the timing coevr off it is pretty easy to look at what is going on so i would like to make sure it is right now rather then messing with it when the cover is back on

When you drop the dizzy in it slides onto the oil pump drive. When it seats the rotor button needs to be pointing at the number 8 stud on the cap.

I thought 351 used the ho firing order?
i am also pretty sure that it is the same as the ho 302.

since i have my timing marks ligned up on the timing chain can i assume my motor is tdc on the compression stroke. if it is all i need to do is drop the dizzy in and make sure the rotor is pointing at the number one position.

does it matter where i have the vacumm canister pointing? i am guessing in the middle so i can turn it clockwise and counterclockwise for my timing adjustments

I have a 351 in my fox. I went carb and love it. Starts right up even if its 10 degrees. A 750 is way to big. I use a 600 and it works perfectly. Mechanical fuel pumps work fine but I ended up switching to a holley electric pump because I was running a small shot of nitrous. A nice carter mechanical pump will work nicely with your setup and they are cheap