92 Lx: No Turn Signals, Can't Find Relay/efm

Discussion in '2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech' started by strra, Aug 2, 2012.

1. strra

strra New Member

Hello!
    When I purchased this car a few months ago, the turn signals worked but kind of "flickered"... recently, they completely went out... however the hazards work just fine.
    I checked all the fuses, replaced the flasher relay on the fuse box (which, I believe I found out later is the hazard flasher?), and replaced the multi-function switch. Still nothing.
    I was reading around and found out that the flashers use a separate relay that's supposed to be located behind the glove box, but for the life of me, I cannot find it.
    I've attached pictures of what I can see behind the glove box.
    Thanks in advance for any help. This is getting expensive!

Attached Files:

2. Noobz347

Noobz347 Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor Admin Dude

Showcase:
    Albums:
    [​IMG]

Take a look at # 14. Behind the radio-ish.
  3. tealtiger93

tealtiger93 Member

The fuse box is on the driver's side under the dash right by the door (as you can see from the picture). Sometimes I pull the bracket it's attached to down when I get out of the car! There is a diagram on the case of the fuse box. Hope this helps!
  4. strra

strra New Member

UPDATE

Well, I have good news and worse news.

the blue thing at the bottom of the first picture was what i was looking for. i had to remove the glove box to get to it and pull it off of a metal bracket.

however, the bad news is replacing it didn't fix it...

the relay is the same as the hazard relay, correct? they're interchangeable?

weird thing is, i tested the turn signal relay in the hazard relay slot and the hazards stopped working right until i replaced the original

i also popped out the hazard switch (i've read about loose wires) and checked all the connections and fiddled with the wires a bit, then did the same to the multifunction switch.

still absolutely nothing.

i'm quickly running out of ideas here. i don't want to have to bring the car in!

thank you guys for all your help.
  5. tca7291

tca7291 I can see your wieners.

The hazard and the turn signal relay are identical. They are both your generic flasher units, round case and two prongs in a "L" shape. |_ If you interchanged them and are still having issues with your turn signals, you probably have some other wiring issue.