92 mustang gt problem with charging system

• Sponsors (?)

Be sure your power wire is rated for the alternator output. The stock wiring could overload with even a stock-output alternator.

Check continuity in the stator loop circuit.

Check continuity in the stator loop circuit.

what exactly is this and how do i do that?
where is it?

~Kelly~

Disconnect both plugs on the alt. Grab your DMM and set it to read low scale Ohms (like the 200 Ohm setting). Put one meter lead into one plug where the white/blk wire is. Put the other lead on the other plug where the other end of the white/blk wire is. The reading should be almost nill.

If the battery light proves-out and then comes back on upon starting, your links are all intact, and the stator loop is continuous, unless the excite wire has a short to ground, the alt should function normally, unless it's bad.

ok guys i think i found my problem
just for the hell of it i thought i would try one last thing out
on the alternator itself for the voltage regulator plug the 3 male ends inside there(alternator)
i pushed each spade themself a little bit over thinking they were not contacting the plug itself
when plugged in.................after i did that and started the car
the battery idiot light went away and the volt gauge jumped up to in the middle of the normal range and while engine was running checked the volts on the battery now is reading 14 at idle speed........................i guess it was just not making a good connection between alternator and plug thank you guys for all your input
now i am gonna solder all my connections instead of a connection splice
~kelly~